Supreme Court reserves judgment in manslaughter case

Appeal heard for two Nanaimo men ordered to stand new trial

Two Nanaimo brothers who were charged with manslaughter following a 2006 bar fight had their appeal of a B.C. Court of appeal decision heard by Canada’s highest court last week.

Timothy and Matthew Maybin, as well as Buddha Gains, who worked as a bouncer in the now-closed Grizzly Bar, were found not guilty in 2008 of manslaughter in the death of Michael Brophy, 20.

Brophy died Oct. 21, 2006 following a fight that broke out at the Grizzly Bar hours before.

The Crown appealed the manslaughter acquittals and in 2010, a 2-1 B.C. Court of Appeal decision ordered a new trial for the Maybin brothers. All three judges upheld the trial judge’s decision to acquit Gains.

The brothers appealed that decision and a panel of Supreme Court of Canada justices heard the case on Dec. 15. Judgment on the case is reserved.

In his Sept. 26, 2008 oral verdict, B.C. Supreme Court Judge Douglas Halfyard was satisfied beyond a reasonable doubt that all three accused participated in an assault against Brophy and that both Timothy Maybin and Gains caused bodily harm to Brophy and knew their actions would have done so.

But Halfyard said it was not proven who struck the fatal blow or whether the three men acted in concert with each other. He recommended the Crown pursue a new charge of assault causing bodily harm.

Two of the three B.C. Court of Appeal panel judges ruled the trial judge erred in law in limiting his analysis to a determination of the medical cause of death.

Just Posted

‘We are all worried:’ Downtown hotel developers to meet with City of Nanaimo

PEG Developments say they’re pushing to break ground before Dec. 31 deadline

Police seek owner of ‘very old gold’ watch found in central Nanaimo

Nanaimo RCMP say women’s watch has phrase “Always with Love” engraved on it

Coats for Christmas organizes collection events at Maffeo Sutton Park

Youth-led charity drive takes place Friday, Dec. 6, and Sunday, Dec. 8

Beefs & Bouquets, Dec. 5

To submit a beef or a bouquet to the Nanaimo News Bulletin, e-mail bulletinboard@nanaimobulletin.com

Nanaimo Clippers holding Teddy Bear Toss

BCHL team has pair of home games this weekend, including charity event Saturday, Dec. 7

VIDEO: Federal Liberals’ throne speech welcomes opposition’s ideas

Trudeau will need NDP or Bloc support to pass legislation and survive confidence votes

Coins can add up to a merrier Christmas for kids

News Bulletin’s Coins for Kids campaign now underway

VIDEO: John Lennon’s iconic Rolls Royce rolls into Vancouver Island college for checkup

Royal BC Museum, Camosun College and Coachwerks Restorations come together to care for car

VIDEO: Rockslide closes part of Highway 93 in Fairmont Hot Springs

Geotechnical team called in to do an assessment after rocks fell from hoodoos

Petition calls for appeal of ex-Burns Lake mayor’s sentence for sex assault

Prosecution service says Luke Strimbold’s case is under review

Northwest B.C. wildlife shelter rescues particularly tiny bear cub

Shelter co-founder says the cub weighs less than a third of what it should at this time of year

BC firefighters to help battle Australian bushfires

Canada sent 22 people, including 7 from B.C.

B.C. NDP touts the end of MSP premiums

Horgan, James held news conference to reiterate that people will get their last bill this month

Oscar Hickes: Longest running hockey tournament on Vancouver Island cancelled

Patrick Murray, one of the organizers for the tournament, broke the sad news on social media.

Most Read