Investigations on a pair of fires that displaced 16 people from two separate residences last week in Nanaimo’s south end have concluded.
An April 9 fire on Nicol Street started at the back of the building’s exterior, according to a press release from the City of Nanaimo.
While the cause of the fire has not been determined, investigators believe that poorly discarded smoking materials caused the blaze.
The six occupants of the house were displaced and the investigation revealed smoke alarms were removed or disabled.
— Karl Yu (@KarlYuBulletin) April 11, 2015
As for an April 11 fire on Fifth Street, investigators say the source of the fire was an electrical cord connected to a table lamp in one of the upper floor bedrooms in a middle unit of an apartment complex. Smoke alarms sounded in that situation and 10 people were displaced.
Nanaimo Fire Rescue says the incidents remind people to check their alarms and electrical cords.
“Once again we want to remind residents to make sure they have working smoke alarms and ensure your electrical cords are in good shape. In a period of a few days we have seen 16 people displaced with no content insurance and having to start all over,” said Ennis Mond, fire prevention officer.