Service Canada offices to shutter for in-person services over COVID-19 concerns

Officials will make alternative arrangements for those who still need personalized services

The federal government is shutting down the network of in-person Service Canada centres over COVID-19 concerns.

Some of the offices, such as one tucked inside Ottawa’s city hall, have already started to close as confirmed cases of COVID-19 have increased and workers were needed elsewhere, or felt uncomfortable about going in due to health concerns.

The Liberals say the move, announced late Thursday night, shouldn’t affect most unemployed workers who seek employment insurance benefits since the vast majority of applications are done online.

And a new benefit for those who don’t qualify for EI but see their income dry up due to COVID-19 will be available through an online application. The web portal is targeted for opening early next month.

The minister in charge of Service Canada says officials will make alternative arrangements for those who still need personalized services — a group that tends to include seniors and Indigenous Peoples.

Social Development Minister Ahmed Hussen said the government’s service delivery model should reflect the fact that Canadians are being asked to stay home over public health concerns.

“During a time when we are asking most Canadians to stay home, we need to make sure our service delivery model follows the best public health advice, while also meeting the needs of Canadians,” he said in a statement.

“We recognize that this might be a challenge for some Canadians who prefer to receive services in person. I want to assure Canadians that we are committed to ensuring they all have access to the supports they need and deserve.”

Hussen said staff at the offices will instead focus on answering questions coming into call centres. Others will be available to call people directly by request to help with EI and pension applications.

“This will allow more Canadians to get the support they need, while better protecting both them and our staff,” the statement said.

The unions representing workers at the centres, who had urged the government to better protect front-line staff, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The network of 318 Service Canada centres, along with almost 250 more outreach centres, received about 8.4 million visits during the 12-month period between April 2018 and March 2019. The figure, noted in a recently posted evaluation of federal services, included over 1.9 million people walking in to use a self-service kiosk.

ALSO READ: Trudeau announces 75% wage subsidy for small businesses amid COVID-19

The demand on Service Canada has increased in recent days as more than one million new applications for EI benefits have arrived in just over a week as businesses close over public health concerns or requirements and let workers go.

On Wednesday, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau acknowledged the frustration many of those Canadians are feeling trying to get information about their request for financial aid, saying during his daily press briefing that civil servants were working around the clock to process claims.

He noted that workers had been deployed from other departments to bolster the ranks of those answering phones at inundated call centres.

READ MORE: How to apply for employment insurance

Jordan Press, The Canadian Press

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Coronavirusfederal government

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

B.C. Ferries says Departure Bay-Horseshoe Bay sailings filling up fast

Tsawwassen-Duke Point may be a better alternative between June 4 and 7, says ferry corporation

Volunteers on Vancouver Island checking in on seniors during pandemic

United Way reports 2,600 phone check-ins and 1,300 ‘virtual visits’

UPDATE: Missing teen quickly located

Caregivers had been worried about 18-year-old’s safety

Black Lives solidarity demonstration to be held in Nanaimo tomorrow

Event happening from 3-5 p.m. June 5 at Maffeo Sutton Park

Nanaimo tech company redesigns RE/Max Europe’s flagship website

Real Estate Webmasters brings marketing tech innovations to network spanning 40 countries

22 new COVID-19 test-positives, one death following days of low case counts in B.C.

Health officials urged British Columbians to ‘stand together while staying apart’

Beefs & Bouquets, June 3

To submit a beef or a bouquet to the Nanaimo News Bulletin, e-mail editor@nanaimobulletin.com

280-unit development in Lantzville will proceed to public hearing

Mayor says Clark/Medd properties affect municipality’s future

Man found dead in his tent at Island homeless camp

Facebook posts tell of personal struggles and attempts to stay clean and sober

Facing changes together: Your community, your journalists

The COVID-19 pandemic has changed the world in ways that would have… Continue reading

New study is first full list of species that only exist in Canada

Almost 40 per cent of them are critically imperilled or imperilled and eight are already extinct

John Horgan says COVID-19 restrictions won’t be eased regionally

B.C. Liberals urge ‘tailored’ response based on infections

Most Read