School bus route changes considered in Nanaimo, Ladysmith

First bus route review released by Nanaimo school district

Nanaimo school district could axe a bus route and extend ride times for its northernmost students while improving service for the south.

The school district has released results of its first bus route review with four proposals for change next September.

A bus route review, triggered by a new transportation policy, will happen every year and uses criteria like ridership numbers, lighting and public transportation to help guide recommendations on the provision of busing. All routes were considered for the inaugural review, but the next is expected to look at only selected runs, such as ones where staff know data has changed or eligible ridership has dipped 50 per cent. The community can also request a review.

At a business committee meeting Wednesday, Pete Sabo, district director of planning and operations, said the idea is to have a dynamic transportation program that can shift and change with the needs of the district.

Recommended changes for September are to eliminate service for Dover Bay secondary students catching the bus on Hammond Bay Road, with staff pointing out there are 12 registered, eligible riders, safe walk conditions and available public transit. Students will be able to access partial funding to cover costs of transportation, the report says.

It also recommends combining bus routes out of Lantzville, including two routes to Seaview and another two to Dover Bay.

Transportation supervisor Dave Prevost said it’s something the district should do because it’s efficient and it would transport the same number of students. Half the riders would see a “slightly longer” bus ride and Dover Bay students would be dropped off 10 minutes earlier in the morning and picked up 10 minutes later in the afternoon, which Prevost called the largest adverse effect.

South of Nanaimo, students could see a boost in service. Bus routes 11 and 15, from the Cassidy and Yellow Point areas, drop off students about an hour before school starts at Ladysmith Secondary, and the district has received complaints.

With redesigned routes, students are expected to see better timing, such as being picked up later in the morning and dropped off closer to bell times, picked up sooner after bell times in the afternoon, and wherever possible, the ride wll be shortened, according to Sabo, who said the details are not ready yet. Routes 8, 11, 12, 15 and 17 would all be redesigned.

Superintendent John Blain said shifts and changes for recommendations one, two and three – regarding Hammond Bay and Lantzville – lead the district into supporting improvements in item four, the service from Cassidy and Yellow Point to Ladysmith Secondary.

“It’s shifting just the assignments and being flexible for the needs of the day,” he said.

Trustee Jamie Brennan said staff has taken a good look at the territory and considered the potential danger and hopefully safety of the various routes and has come up with a good report with some solid recommendations.

Stephanie Higginson, trustee, said she appreciates “that we now have the ability to not just say, well this is a cut-off line, you are 4.8 kilometres, but actually look at safety situations and issues and whether there’s accessible other forms of transportation.”

Trustees recommended at a business committee Wednesday that the school board receive the report and, in a separate motion, they also supported continuing bus service from Davis Road to North Oyster Elementary. The route was grandfathered into the system with a 2021 expiry date after the closure of École Davis Road, but according to Blain, the Ministry of Education has brought forward a transportation fund, enrolment has increased and there’s stability and the district is able to support the route.

PAC presidents for Ladysmith and Dover secondary schools could not be reached for comment. The review can be found at goo.gl/cnCKvg.



news@nanaimobulletin.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Just Posted

Suspect who died at Nanaimo ferry terminal shot himself at the same time police fired

Officers didn’t commit any offence, says police watchdog office

Three strong earthquakes reported off Vancouver Island

The quakes, all measuring more than 6.0 on the richter scale, were about 260 kilometres west of Tofino

Eighty-eight year old woman keeps shaving her head for Tour de Rock

NANAIMO - Senior parts with hair to raise $10,000 for Cops for Cancer

OPINION: Nanaimo not only voted, but voted with purpose

Nanaimo’s civic leadership will see the change that so many wanted

Explosion at homeless camp causes brush fire along Millstone

Nanaimo Fire Rescue crews haul hundreds of metres of hose down ravine

ELECTION DAY: Krog voted in as Nanaimo’s next mayor

Hemmens, Armstrong, Geselbracht, Brown, Turley, Bonner, Thorpe and Maartman elected as councillors

Liberals write off $6.3 billion in loans as part of money never to be collected

That includes student loans and a $2.6 billion write off that came through Export Development Canada

Category 5 Hurricane Willa threatens Mexico’s Pacific coast

Hurricane-force winds extended 30 miles (45 kilometres) from the storm’s centre

Trudeau, McKenna to announce compensation for federal carbon plan

Provinces that don’t have a carbon price of at least $20 per tonne of emissions will have Ottawa’s plan forced on them

UPDATE: American rapper killed in skydiving accident

Man, 34, dies in skydiving accident Saturday near Westwold, between Vernon and Kelowna

Voter turnout at 36% in B.C.’s municipal election

Vancouver saw 39% turnout, Surrey saw 33%

Harry and Meghan travel in different style on Australia tour

Prince Harry and his wife Meghan are on day seven of their 16-day tour of Australia and the South Pacific.

AP Exclusive: Stephen Hawking’s wheelchair, thesis for sale

The online auction features 22 items from Hawking, including his doctoral thesis on the origins of the universe, with the sale scheduled for 31 October and 8 November.

In Khashoggi case: Saudi calls, ‘body double’ after killing

Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman called the son of Jamal Khashoggi, the kingdom announced early Monday, to express condolences for the death of the journalist killed at the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul by officials that allegedly included a member of the royal’s entourage.

Most Read