Rink review: Nanaimo has history with proposals to build events centres

NANAIMO - Three proposals for a multiplex pitched by Clippers team owners.

In this city, a multiplex is the idea that’s never slept.

For more than a decade, the city talked with private proponents about a potential multiplex, including with three different owners of the Nanaimo Clippers.

It started with Clippers owner Dieter Peter in 2002, who presented the concept of a multi-purpose arena but there was never a proposal other than that taxpayers would fund the full costs of the building, including debt and operating costs, according to a city report. When Peter sold, new owner Gary Gelinas also spoke with the city about a multiplex, but it became clear he too wished for taxpayers to fund the facility.

In 2006, the Clippers, now owned by William Gallacher and Ken Wagner, approached the city, but by 2007 announced they were abandoning their plan to the surprise of council, which had been waiting for a business plan, according to a letter to the editor from then-mayor Gary Korpan and late councillor Larry McNabb.

The city claimed the proposal had gone from requiring no taxpayer funding, land and a “modest” revenue stream through use of the facility, to requesting taxpayers provide one-third of the capital cost, as well as ice rental costs and land for parking. The facility was estimated to cost $45 million.

Wagner, part owner and govenor of the current Nanaimo Clippers, told the News Bulletin that 10 years ago, the new owners of the club knew Nanaimo was ready for a Western Hockey League team and spent $500,000 on their own due diligence. They did everything the city asked it to, he said, adding they had a bonded price from a local contractor, an outside consulting firm and prints drawn up on the facility. At the time, it was a hockey arena not the same facility as proposed now, he said. Wagner said his group asked for improvements and to work with the city on land, but not one-third of the cost. Neither does he feel they were treated fairly, but bygones are bygones, he said.

Council hosted a delegation in 2013, which included the Nanaimo Clippers, RG Properties, which leases Victoria’s Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre, and the Western Hockey League, which expressed interest in a franchise in Nanaimo. City staff presented a report then on costs, operations and how other multiplexes function.

“We’ll have to call a meeting, sit down with all of council and ask ‘what are your thoughts?’” said then-mayor John Ruttan. “I haven’t seen an overwhelming indication of council or community support.”

Howard Johnson Hotels pitched a multimillion-dollar hotel and 5,000-seat sports arena multiplex in 2015, sparked by interested shown by the WHL in possibly bringing a second team to the Island. Last year, the city named an event centre as a top strategic priority and a representative for the hotel wanted clarification on what that meant, including if the city would build the centre itself.

The city is moving ahead with its proposal alone.

It’s not known what happened to the Howard Johnson pitch.

 

Just Posted

‘Our culture is not a religion,’ indigenous educator tells Nanaimo court in case of smudging at school

Mother also gave evidence Tuesday in B.C. Supreme Court, case continues Wednesday

LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Time for a ban on leaf blowers

Loud noise can cause heart attacks, deafness and mental disorders, says letter writer

Nanaimo’s Kirkwood Academy presents 20th production of ‘The Nutcracker’

More than 150 dancers of all ages to participate in classic Christmas ballet Nov. 22-23

LETTER TO THE EDITOR: A vegetarian diet is a viable choice

Plant diets can support more people than animal diets based on plant inputs, says letter writer

Nanaimo RCMP utilize new online crime reporting tool

Damage, mischief, theft under $5,000 can be reported online

Harbour City Theatre Alliance builds on tradition with ‘A Christmas Carol’

Local adaptation of the Christmas classic returns to Nanaimo starting Nov. 21

B.C. to advocate for frustrated, confused, unhappy cellphone users, says premier

Maple Ridge New Democrat Bob D’Eith to advocate for more affordable and transparent cellphone options

B.C. man who killed Belgian tourist near Boston Bar gets life in prison, no parole until 2042

Sean McKenzie pleaded guilty to second-degree murder of 28-year-old Amelie Christelle Sakkalis

Nanaimo boxers will look to land punches for Ringside Rescue program

Nanaimo Boxing Club holding a fundraiser card Saturday, Nov. 23, at Departure Bay Activity Centre

Nanaimo woman seeks knitters to make blankets for cats

Dale Burke inspired by creator of Comfort for Critters

B.C. to more than double sales tax on vaping products

Tax up from 7 to 20 per cent, tobacco tax up two cents

Site where rockslide occurred along Malahat is too narrow for rock blasting or drilling: Emcon

‘Rockfalls are inevitable, so we try to increase our response times,’ says representative

Daily cannabis linked to reduction in opioid use: B.C. researchers

Researchers looked at a group of 1,152 people in Vancouver who reported substance use and chronic pain

Most Read