Dave Bone

Red Cross takes its disaster response on the road

NANAIMO – Red Cross mobile disaster response rig displayed in Nanaimo.

The Canadian Red Cross Society is on the road to rapid disaster response.

Red Cross Disaster Response Vehicles are being fabricated and deployed to regions throughout B.C., allowing the society to quickly move in and provide basic comfort, food and hygiene in areas where fire, floods, earthquakes or other catastrophes happen and populations need help.

Four of the rigs consist of a pickup truck, a command module unit that can provide office space, WiFi, cellphone charging and other services, plus a trailer packed with enough sleeping cots, hygiene supplies, blankets and other necessities to serve 200 people.

One of the rigs, which is now based in Burnaby, was on display in Nanaimo Tuesday after being shown at the Emergency Support Services Conference in Campbell River on the weekend.

“This is a brand new venture for the Red Cross,” said Derrick Harvey, Red Cross emergency response team leader for the North Island. “Last year we manufactured the first one and it’s stationed in Kelowna.”

Two more units will be completed, one to be based on the Island and one for Prince George.

Each unit, including truck, trailer, command unit and supplies, costs about $135,000.

Harvey hopes to have the Island unit stationed north of the Malahat.

“The first one was put in service last year and it came off the assembly line and went into service in the southern B.C. forest fires,” Harvey said. “The trailer, which is the 200-bed mobile shelter, was stationed in Trail and the command module was used as an office from our command position in Midway where we looked after people from there.”

The units, which are built in Ladner, B.C., allow the Red Cross to move relief personnel and supplies into disaster areas quickly or pre-deploy to regions where fires or floods can be predicted to happen at certain times of the year.

“To be perfectly blunt, if a big earthquake hit Vancouver Island tomorrow … you know, between Port Hardy and Campbell River there’s 200 bridges. You only need one of them to be out and we’re screwed, but we can still preposition this in an area we think might be the hardest hit for the more predictable disasters,” Harvey said.

The units are designed to be self-contained and provide communication and power where utilities are out of commission.

“We have our own WiFi. We’ve got our own power supply,” said Dave Bone, temporary lead disaster manager for Nanaimo. “We can run on solar or run on batteries. When the power’s out we can park in the bush and still talk to people.”

The units, designed for a service life of about 25 years, even supply power to recharge cellphones.

All four units will be in service by early 2017, but the society is looking for private donors and sponsors, especially for about $80,000, to pay for the truck to be deployed to the Island.

For more information about the Disaster Response Vehicle program or to become a sponsor, please contact Cheryl Bosley, philantropy manager, at cheryl.bosley@redcross.ca.

Just Posted

RDN transit committee recommends keeping bus loop at Port Drive until summer

Regional District of Nanaimo board to debate recommendation Oct. 22

Nanaimo-Ladysmith candidates ‘disappointed’ with prime minister over blackface

Situation a ‘nightmare’ for Trudeau and the Liberals, says VIU professor

Opposition to 388 Machleary proposal over-extends public hearing

Nanaimo residents 10-1 against development plan in Old City Quarter, public hearing to be continued

Nanaimo beekeepers take down nest of giant hornets

One nest eradicated at Robins Park, but there are still Asian giant hornets around

Nanaimo athletes earn gold, silver, bronze at 55-Plus B.C. Games

Huge contingent of local participants competed in largest-ever 55-Plus B.C. Games in Kelowna

VIDEO: B.C.’s famous cat Grandpa Mason has died

The story of the feral cat that started fostering kittens touched people around the world

Trudeau seeks meeting with Singh to apologize for blackface, brownface photos

‘I will be apologizing to him personally as a racialized Canadian,’ Trudeau said Friday

Charges stayed against Alberta RCMP officer in alleged off-duty Whistler assault

Const. Vernon Hagen instead completed an alternative measures program

VIDEO: Fire destroys Williams Lake strip club targeted by past arson attempts

Diamonds and Dust Entertainment Lounge destroyed by fire, crews on scene

Second bat found at Greater Victoria elementary school tests positive for rabies

Island Health confirms second rabies case, this time in Saanich

B.C. man guilty of first-degree murder in Yukon killing

Edward James Penner, 22, was given the mandatory life sentence for the 2017 slaying of 25-year-old Adam Cormack

Woman stabbed at least five times in Nelson during random attack

Victim is in hospital, suspect is in police custody

Victoria man spots online photo of his totem pole 11 years after it was stolen

Mark Trueman restored the pole himself before it was stolen off of his property in Duncan

Most Read