Recreational halibut season closes earliest in history

Recreational halibut season closes earliest in history.

The recreational halibut fishery season is closing its earliest in history.

The season closes at midnight Sept. 5, because recreational anglers are expected to meet their allowable catch limit earlier this year. Last year the fishery closed Oct. 18.

“This is just totally unacceptable,” said Wayne Harling, a member of the B.C. Coalition of Salt Water Anglers and Nanaimo Fish and Game Protective Association. “The public has a right to fish. I’m bitterly disappointed in the attitude of the ministry and department staff.”

Harling said the early closure is stirring unresolved issues anglers have been fighting to have addressed for years.

Recreational anglers want their slice of the halibut fishery increased. The total allowable catch, determined by the International Pacific Halibut Commission based on halibut stock health, is split 88 to 12 per cent between the commercial and recreational fisheries. First Nations also receive a portion which is allocated before the split.  Anglers want their percentage increased to 20 per cent.

Harling said there are still halibut in the water, but they are considered part of the commercial quota.

“The commercial fishery has no right to the resources,” said Harling.

The commercial sector says the division is fair and gives access to halibut for people who can’t fish themselves.

“We supply way more Canadians to access to halibut they own than the recreational fishery,” said Chris Sporer, manager of the Pacific Halibut Management Association. “I don’t think they should have priority over Canadians who don’t own a boat or can’t afford to go to a lodge.”

Sporer said halibut stocks are declining and the total allowable catch is decreasing every year. He estimates the commercial fishermen’s catch has dropped about 40 per cent in the last six years and it is affecting revenues and the livelihood of fishermen.

“Nobody wants to see fishing close, but we are in a period of low halibut,” said Sporer. “We cannot over-harvest the resource. We have got to put fish first.”

Harling said the issue isn’t about conservation, but allocation.

“We have a right to the resources,” he said.

The total allowable catch for this year is 7.6 million pounds. The recreation sector’s portion, 12 per cent, is 947,760 pounds. The commercial sector’s portion, 88 per cent, is 6.7 million pounds.

Tamee Karim, DFO regional manager of ground fish, said halibut is in a low period. The total allowable catch has fallen to 7.6 million pounds from 13 million pounds when regulations were first introduced in 2004.

Closing the recreational sector is one of the options the department is using to ensure halibut aren’t overfished, as well as adjusting possession and bag limits. But the recreational sector has exceeded its allowable catch limit every since 2004 but one – the cumulative overages equlling one million pounds of fish.

The recreational sector doesn’t have the same oversight as the commercial sector, which is closely monitored.

Karim said the recreation fishery sector used to be open from the spring, typically February or March, to the end of December. However, with the recreational anglers catching their allowable catch prior to the season end it has been closing earlier.

This February, Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, appointed parliamentary secretary Randy Kamp to develop options for the 2012 season to address concerns raised by stakeholders. He will examine conservation, economic prosperity and flexibility options to transfer allotments between sectors.

In the meantime, a pilot project, the Halibut Experimental Fishery Program was created for 2011. The program allows recreational fishermen the option to purchase quota from the commercial fishery. The license is free through the DFO and people can purchase the quota by the pound based on market values, which are updated every week.

Harling said recreational anglers shouldn’t have to lease quota from commercial fishermen. And Sporer said commercial fishermen would rather keep the quota for themselves but are trying to work with the Fisheries and Oceans Ministry to create viable options for the dispute.

For more information on the fishing program please go to www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca.

reporter3@nanaimobulletin.com

Just Posted

Woodgrove Centre has a temporary COVID-19 vaccination clinic operated by Island Health. (News Bulletin file photo)
COVID-19 vaccine clinic set up at Woodgrove Centre

Anyone 12 and up can receive a first dose of mRNA vaccine seven days a week

Six United Way chapters around the province are merging into United Way B.C. (News Bulletin file photo)
Central Island’s United Way merging with other chapters to create United Way B.C.

Money raised in communities will stay in those communities, agency says

Young people graduating in COVID-19 times have shown resilience. (Stock photo)
Editorial: Class of 2021 has shown smarts and resilience

Congratulations and good luck to Grade 12s who have persevered during the pandemic

The Nanaimo Business Awards are accepting nominations now. (Greater Nanaimo Chamber of Commerce image)
Nanaimo Business Awards accepting nominations of worthy winners

This year’s awards aren’t until the fall, but the nomination period ends June 28

Retailers say they’re ready for the ban on single-use plastic checkout bags in Nanaimo when it takes effect July 1. (Chris Bush/News Bulletin)
Retailers report they’re ready for Nanaimo’s single-use checkout bag ban

Business operators say there’s been plenty of time to plan and prepare for bylaw that kicks in July 1

The border crossing into the United States is seen during the COVID-19 pandemic in Lacolle, Que. on February 12, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Paul Chiasson
VIDEO: Border quarantine to soon lift for fully vaccinated Canadians

Eligible travellers must still take multiple COVID-19 tests

The price of gas is way up in many parts of Greater Victoria after a Monday afternoon surge sent it to 162.9 cents per litre. (Black Press Media file photo)
Gas prices surge to 162.9 cents a litre at some Greater Victoria stations

Prices jumped up more than 10 cents Monday afternoon

Val Litwin is the latest candidate to declare his bid for the B.C. Liberal leadership. (Litwin campaign video)
Political newcomer joins contest for B.C. Liberal leadership

Val Litwin a former B.C. Chamber of Commerce CEO

Golden Ears Mountains, captured in May 2021. (Black Press Media files)
2nd year of day passes required for entry into 5 provincial parks launches in B.C.

Pilot program seeks to protect the environment by addressing visitor surges amid the COVID-19 pandemic

Lincoln Mckoen. (YouTube)
Anglican bishop of the central Interior resigns over sexual misconduct allegations

Lincoln Mckoen was elected as a bishop of the Territory of the People region last year

The former Kamloops Indian Residential School on the Tk’emlups te Secwépemc reserve. (Allen Douglas/Kamloops This Week)
Tk’emlups preparing for archaeological work at B.C. residential school site where remains found

The 215 graves are, to the band’s knowledge, undocumented deaths for which it is still collecting records

Fans watch the warm-up before Game 6 between the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Montreal Canadiens in NHL playoff hockey action Saturday, May 29, 2021 in Montreal. Quebec’s easing of COVID-19 restrictions will allow 2,500 fans to attend the game for the first time in fourteen months. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Ryan Remiorz
Two-thirds of Canadians say governments shouldn’t lift all COVID-19 restrictions

Poll reports Canadians who gained pandemic weight say they have gained 16 pounds on average

Paul Bernardo is shown in this courtroom sketch during Ontario court proceedings via video link in Napanee, Ont., on October 5, 2018. Teen killer and serial rapist Paul Bernardo is set for a parole hearing today. The designated dangerous offender, has been eligible for full parole for more than three years. Bernardo’s horrific crimes in the 1980s and early 1990s include for kidnapping, torturing and killing Kristen French and Leslie Mahaffy near St. Catharines, Ont. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Greg Banning
Killer rapist Paul Bernardo faces parole hearing today; victim families opposed

Designated dangerous offender has been eligible for full parole for more than three years.

People look over the damage after a tornado touched down in Mascouche, Que., north of Montreal, Monday, June 21, 2021. Dozens of homes were damaged and one death has been confirmed. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Ryan Remiorz
One dead and extensive damage as tornado hits Mascouche, Que., north of Montreal

Damage reported in several parts of the city, and emergency teams dispatched to sectors hardest hit

Most Read