Regional District of Nanaimo board directors are set to vote on whether to go to tender for design work on a $4.5-million project at the RDN’s regional landfill in Cedar. (Nanaimo News Bulletin file)

RDN to vote on conceptualizing $4.5-million remediation plan at landfill

RDN to rotate dumping areas at Cedar landfill, cap old areas

Regional District of Nanaimo directors will decide later this week whether to start conceptualizing a $4.5-million project to remediate part of the regional landfill in Cedar.

The RDN is set to rotate areas where garbage is dumped at the landfill, according to Larry Gardner, RDN manager of solid waste services, with old disposal areas to be closed. Installation of landfill caps will be part of closure, with the RDN’s five-year financial plan allocating $2.3 million for work in 2021 and $2.1 million in 2022.

At its Tuesday meeting, the board will vote on whether to go to tender for engineering design work, which normally accounts for 10 to 15 per cent of the project cost. In this case it would be between $450,000-$650,000, according to an RDN staff report.

Landfill caps, the staff report said, are “multi-layer systems of both high and low permeable soils separated by synthetic liner systems,” and serve to limit rain from getting into the landfill, contain runoff and capture gas.

“If you think of the landfill as constructed in building blocks, the idea is you build an area in the blocks, you basically stack up, in our case we call them cells, so we build individual cells and once those are at their final elevation, then we place a cap on it and then we’ll continue to fill in other areas of the site,” said Gardner. “That’s so we can effectively manage precipitation getting in, leachate control and landfill gas.”

If the board green-lights the motion, the successful proponent would be responsible for engineering work that includes landfill cap design, preparing request for proposal documents for construction and overseeing construction, according to the staff report.

Other responsibilities would include a landfill phase development review, which will examine whether the site’s overall design strategy is in line with regulations and current technology. The proponent would also look into opportunities to “expand the life of the landfill,” the report said, along with bringing the landfill design and operation plan up to date.

Gardner estimates the RDN would then begin a request for proposal process in early 2021.

READ ALSO: RDN extends project aimed at reducing trash in schools

READ ALSO: RDN looks at collecting old bins after automated waste collection starts



reporter@nanaimobulletin.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Garbage

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Vancouver Island team takes on wacky challenges of world’s largest scavenger hunt

Greatest International Scavenger Hunt taking place Aug. 1-8

Drive-in movie screenings next week will benefit Nanaimo food bank

Fortis B.C. and Fresh Air Cinema holding fundraisers at Woodgrove Centre

Nanaimo barber looks at new style for back-to-school fundraiser

Dave Lawrence of That 50’s Barber Shop getting tattoo in Fresh Start promo on Aug. 17

Neighbours try to clean up around nuisance drug house on Milton Street in Nanaimo

560 Milton St. was declared a nuisance property last month

V.I. Raiders’ junior football season gets cancelled

CJFL says it will focus on a return-to-play plan for 2021

53 new COVID-19 cases, no new deaths cap off week of high infection rates in B.C.

Roughly 1,500 people are self-isolating because they either have COVID-19 or have been exposed to it

Moving on: Tanev scores 11 seconds into OT as Canucks oust Wild

Vancouver beats Minnesota 5-4 to move into first round of NHL playoffs

Island Health warning of spike in overdoses in Nanaimo area

Substance users advised to visit overdose prevention site on Wesley Street in Nanaimo

Do-over vote has similar result, 280-unit development in Lantzville going to public hearing

Mayor’s motion to rescind Clark/Medd application’s second reading fails 3-2

B.C. wildfire crews have battled 111 blazes in the last seven days

Twenty-nine fires remain active, as of Friday (Aug 7)

Fitness non-profit challenges citizens to invent a game to be physically active

The campaign was launched after a study showed only 4.8 per cent of children and youths in Canada met required standards of the 24-hour movement guidelines

Cowichan RCMP use spike belts to end car chase — man in custody

The driver was arrested at the scene a short distance from his vehicle

Walmart to make face masks mandatory for customers across Canada

Requirement goes into effect on Wednesday, Aug. 12 across Canada

Beefs & Bouquets, Aug. 5

To submit a beef or a bouquet to the Nanaimo News Bulletin, e-mail editor@nanaimobulletin.com

Most Read