A small fire that started at the base of a power pole has piqued the interest of the fire department in Nanaimo.
Firefighters responded shortly after 9 a.m. Thursday to snuff out the blaze that started at the base of a utility pole next to a lacrosse box in the 700 block of Howard Avenue near John Barsby Community School.
Rick Kwasnecha, Nanaimo Fire Rescue fire prevention officer, said the fire only did minor damage to the pole and the lacrosse box.
“With a power pole, it’s usually electrical, a transformer or something on the pole, but this one the fire started at the bottom of the pole in a bunch of, what looks like, remnants of hockey sticks from the lacrosse box,” Kwasnecha said.
Kwasnecha said there was evidence people had been smoking in the area and the fire might have sparked from a smoldering cigarette.
He noted the time of day for a fire to be intentionally set would have been unusual, especially since the lacrosse box and power pole were in full view of the school where classes were in session.
“It was unusual, that’s all,” Kwasnecha said.