Parents say recreation pass rules discriminate

NANAIMO – Parents, advocates call for changes to the city's LEAP program criteria to qualify special needs adults living at home.

Nanaimo parents are up in arms over the city’s tougher stance on recreation assistance, pointing out changed criteria have made some special-needs adults ineligible for free passes.

The City of Nanaimo is being asked to rethink criteria for the Leisure Economic Access Policy pass, which helps families in financial need access civic recreation facilities.

Advocates and parents say special needs adults used to be able to show ministry bus passes or a Person with Disabilities slip to become Leap cardholders – a move that gives them discounts and 50 free admissions to civic facilities each year.  But since September, the municipality has asked for the earnings of the entire household, making some low-income adults who live with their parents ineligible for the aid, while peers in group homes or respite care still qualify.

According to city staff members, the Leap program – an average $300,000 annual cost – was meant to ensure  families could access recreation activities and has always been based on financial need. The city is now enforcing it, said Liz Williams, the city’s manager of recreation services, adding some families weren’t submitting family income.

“I would say we haven’t enforced [the family income rule] as well as we could have,” Williams said. “We are just trying to get the program under control, which is where we are at right now.”

But the move is called unfair and discriminatory by parents and advocates who want to see special-needs adults judged on their own ability to pay.

“These are adults. They live at home. They are independent … now we are saying to these adults, everything you do needs to be dependent on your parents’ income. That’s not fair to them,” said Ericka McDonald with Nanaimo Supportive Lifestyles.

Nanaimo parents Debbie Remillard and Teresa Hamilton will both see their children lose access to the program because of their total household income. Remillard’s 29-year-old daughter, Jayme, qualified for the program for 11 years and used the passes to participate in a day program. Now she will have to pay more than $480 for the same access while others continue to receive assistance because they live away from their parents.

Hamilton calls it a fairness issue.

“It seems like if your kids don’t live at home with you, kids with special needs, and you put them in government care they just seem to get more,” she said.

The city’s recreation committee is expected to look into the program criteria in November.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Nanaimo RCMP want speeding motorists to ‘slow the blazes down’

Police raise alarm after seeing 400-per cent rise in excessive speeding tickets last month

Top central Vancouver Island health official retires

Island Health says Dr. Paul Hasselback’s replacement to be named shortly

17-year-old girl from Nanaimo reported missing

RCMP asking for help finding Trisha Harry

B.C. appeals judge’s decision to leave three clubhouses in Hells Angels hands

The province has filed two notices of appeal related to the B.C. Supreme Court decision

VIU faculty members looking at COVID-19 impacts on communities

Vancouver Island University’s research award committee funds nine projects

B.C. identifies 20 new COVID-19 cases, travellers specified in count

Pandemic total 3,028 cases, 51 people from outside Canada

Campaign aims to raise $50K for young family of deceased Vancouver Island skydiver

James Smith, 34, died July 5 following incident in Nanoose Bay

Survey, hotline launched amid probe into racist blood-alcohol guessing game at B.C. hospital

Mary Ellen Turpel-Lafond has been appointed to lead an investigation by Health Minister Adrian Dix

Canadian policing organization calls for decriminalization of simple illicit drug possession

Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police want policing focus of opioid crisis to be replaced with a health one

Filing deadline in RCMP sexual-harassment class-action extended due to COVID-19

Plaintiffs now have until January 2021 to submit claims for up to $222,000

Jamie Bacon pleads guilty to charge in Surrey Six case

The plea brings an end to a complex legal case that has spanned more than a decade

World’s biggest Nanaimo bar confirmed, but it’s not in Nanaimo

Two Ontario children set the bar high with successful biggest Nanaimo bar world record attempt

Hefty undeclared driver charges piling up, ICBC warns customers

Average extra penalty $2,971 after an at-fault accident

RCMP disarm man experiencing mental health crisis

The male pulled a knife on officers and then held it to his own throat expressing a desire to die

Most Read