The Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations Wildfire Management Branch has issued a ban on open burning.
The prohibition came into effect Wednesday and will remain in place until Oct. 16.
Donna MacPherson, fire information officer said the timing of the ban is normal.
“Last year the ban was put in June 3, so it’s only a week out,” MacPherson said.
The ban applies to outdoor burning of small piles of material less than two metres high and three metres wide; burning stubble or grass over areas less than 2,000 square metres; firecrackers, fireworks, sky lanterns, burning barrels and burning cages of any size or description; and the use of binary exploding firearms targets.
The order does not prohibit campfires less than a half-metre tall by a half-metre wide or to cooking stoves using gas, propane or briquettes.
Penalties for contravening the fire prohibition range up to $100,000 and one year in jail.
The ban covers all B.C. parks, Crown lands and private land within the Coastal Fire Centre region, except for the fog zone and Haida Gwaii. Municipalities and areas served by fire departments might have further restriction on fires.
To report a wildfire, please call 1 800 663-5555 toll-free or *5555 on a cellphone.