A 73-year old man went overboard from the Seven Seas Mariner cruise ship near Vancouver Island on July 10, 2018. (Wikipedia Commons/Ivan T.)

Officials to examine death of man who fell from cruise ship

The body of a 73-year-old man was pulled from the ocean near Vancouver Island on Tuesday

Officials with the United States Coast Guard say they will work with Canadian officials to investigate the death of a passenger who went overboard from a cruise ship off the west coast of Vancouver Island.

U.S. Coast Guard Petty Officer Levi Read says the 73-year-old man who died was a American citizen.

A release issued by the U.S. Coast Guard said the man was recovered Tuesday afternoon and he was later pronounced deceased at a facility in Washington State.

READ MORE: Coast Guard recovers cruise ship passenger who went overboard

The victim was found in the water at the entrance to the Strait of Juan de Fuca by search crews less than 12 hours after a camera aboard the Seven Seas Mariner recorded his plunge from a stateroom balcony on Tuesday morning.

Read says a U.S. investigation could examine issues including the cruise ship’s initial response to the man overboard, but Canadian officials will lead the investigation, in part because the vessel’s next ports of call were in Victoria and Vancouver.

The Seven Seas Mariner was docked in Vancouver Wednesday, preparing for an evening departure on another trip to Alaska and officials with the cruise line and Transportation Safety Board had not returned requests for information.

The Canadian Press

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Iconic white raven spotted in area north of Nanaimo

Photographer John Domovich spotted rare bird earlier this week in Whiskey Creek area

South Wellington community association hopes to save old school from demolition

Nanaimo school district staff to report on fate of South Wellington Elementary later this month

Black Lives solidarity demonstration fills Nanaimo park

Anti-racism protest held at Maffeo Sutton Park on Friday afternoon

UPDATE: Missing indigenous youth sought by Nanaimo RCMP located

Family of William Baker worried and said he was in company of people putting him at risk

Nanaimo man wanted on assault warrants

John Bates wanted following two separate incidents from earlier this year

Trudeau offers $14B to provinces for anti-COVID-19 efforts through rest of year

Making a difference in municipalities is a pricey proposition

Friends, family mourn Salt Spring Island woman killed in suspected murder-suicide

A GoFundMe comapaign has been launched for Jennifer Quesnel’s three sons

‘I’m pissed, I’m outraged’: Federal minister calls out police violence against Indigenous people

Indigenous Minister Marc Miller spoke on recent incidents, including fatal shooting of a B.C. woman

Indigenous families say their loved ones’ deaths in custody are part of pattern

Nora Martin joins other Indigenous families in calling for a significant shift in policing

Facing changes together: Your community, your journalists

The COVID-19 pandemic has changed the world in ways that would have… Continue reading

‘Alarmed’: Health critic calls for more data on COVID-19 in trucking industry

Saskatchewan, Ontario and Quebec said that level of detail is not being collected

UPDATED: Pair accused of ‘horrific’ assault at Vancouver’s Oppenheimer Park arrested

Police say Jason Tapp, 30, and Nicole Edwards, 33, did not show up to meet their bail supervisor this week

Kelowna Mountie who punched suspect identified, condemned by sister

‘How did he get away with this? How is this justifiable?’

PHOTOS: Anti-racism protesters gather in communities across B.C.

More protests are expected through the weekend

Most Read