Occupiers issued notices for court appearance

Nanaimo takes first steps to remove occupiers from downtown plaza.

Robin Roberts

The city has taken its first steps to get Occupy Nanaimo protestors to vacate Diana Krall Plaza.

Nanaimo RCMP handed packages, containing orders to appear in B.C. Supreme Court and details of city grievances against the people camped out in the plaza, to about 10 people Thursday at 3:30 p.m.

The occupiers named in the document must appear before a B.C. Supreme Court judge Friday  (Dec. 9) at 10 a.m.

Matthew O’Donnell, Occupy Nanaimo spokesman, said the order was not unexpected, but he was surprised the orders arrived Thursday afternoon.

“We didn’t expect it today,” O’Donnell said. “Mayor John Ruttan came down earlier today and he said – as he also said yesterday – that he would make sure that we were involved and that he would be communicating with us to let us know, basically, how the process is working.”

Thursday at 9 a.m. was the city’s deadline to have the occupiers move from the site or it would start proceedings to move those camped out in the plaza.

Ruttan visited the plaza around 9 a.m.

“I think that as a lot of these issues, as they unfold, maybe there will be some changes, but the nice thing is that we’re always able to talk,” Ruttan said .

The mayor did not give any indication when proceedings might start.

O’Donnell said he would be consulting with the group’s lawyer.

“In the meantime we’re going to be here until the hearing happens – until we get our day in court,” he said.

Just Posted

City of Nanaimo says it’s ‘back on track’ with waste collection

Mechanical issues, ‘additional pressures’ caused delays

House fire in Nanaimo earlier this month being investigated as suspicious

Nanaimo Fire Rescue hands over Palomino Place house fire investigation to RCMP

Young jiu-jitsu athletes win medals on the mat

Nanaimo’s Island Top Team athletes fare well at Richmond tournament

LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Snowbirds’ militarism shouldn’t be celebrated

The public has accepted this military demonstration team as benign entertainment, says letter writer

Hundreds of Kin club members meeting in Nanaimo this week

Service club holding national convention Aug. 21-24

Disney Plus to launch in Canada in November

Analysts say latest streaming service may escalate cord cutting

Okanagan bus driver assaulted for asking patron not to smoke

59-year-old in hospital with non-life threatening injuries

B.C. sets rules for ride hailing, same minimum fee as taxis

Larger operating areas seen as threat by cab companies

Two hiking families team up to extinguish fire in B.C. backcountry

Children and their parents worked for three hours to ensure safety of the popular hiking region

Police seek tips in 2015 death of Island teen Brown

Four years has passed since the body of Penelakut Island woman was discovered

Vancouver man arrested after pregnant woman’s SUV stolen, then crashed

Police are recommending charges against a 22-year-old Vancouver man

Elections Canada to assess ‘partisan’ climate change rhetoric case by case

People’s Party of Canada Leader Maxime Bernier has said climate change is not an emergency nor caused by human

Unseasonable snow forces campers out of northeastern B.C. provincial park

Storm brought as much as 35 centimetres of snow to the Fort Nelson, Muncho Lake Park-Stone Mountain Park

Most Read