The former Nanaimo Recycling Exchange facility on Kenworth Road was demolished last month and the site has been levelled. GREG SAKAKI/The News Bulletin

NRE will present business plan to the public this month

Nanaimo Recycling Exchange plans public engagement sessions for May 26 and May 30

The NRE is almost ready to share its business plan as it continues to pursue the potential for a one-stop recycling depot in Nanaimo.

The Nanaimo Recycling Exchange will hold two public engagement sessions later this month to present its draft plans for a “progressive, zero-waste facility,” said Ben Geselbracht, NRE vice-chairman.

He said the recycling exchange will then consider the feedback from the engagement sessions and prepare to go back in front of city council in June.

In March, the NRE asked council for $6.05 million to construct a new facility on Kenworth Road, but council did not commit any money, with several councillors suggesting they would need to see a more detailed business plan. Later that month, the NRE closed, and by the end of April, its former site had been demolished and levelled.

RELATED: Nanaimo Recycling Exchange closes its gates

RELATED: NRE says some form of shutdown now unavoidable

RELATED: Councillors won’t decide yet on NRE request for $6 million

“We’ve taken this amount of time to put [a plan] together to make sure that all the t’s are crossed and i’s dotted, so that every bit of financial information is present and that it’s been double- and triple-checked,” Geselbracht said. “We really wanted to be super thorough on making sure that everything was in place so that there will be no reason other than lack of support for the initiative to disregard it.”

He said the plans that will be presented this month will make a case for why the NRE is important to waste diversion, and show building costs, operational costs and longer-term projected costs.

Geselbracht was asked about the importance of going back before council now, while the topic is current and before people get used to not having the NRE around.

“There’s a certain window,” he said. “However, [with] this type of facility, there’s a need –regardless whether it happens in a month or two months – that’s not being filled. So on our end, it was more just making sure that we had a rock-solid business plan that was checked by the community and vetted by the right people.”

The public engagement sessions will be held at the Beban Park social centre on May 26, 10 a.m.-noon and May 30, 7-9 p.m. The Nanaimo Recycling Exchange anticipates making a presentation at a Nanaimo city council meeting June 11.



editor@nanaimobulletin.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Just Posted

Lantzville soccer player a first-round major-league draft pick

Callum Montgomery goes fourth overall to FC Dallas in MLS SuperDraft

Manly will give it another go with federal Green Party

Paul Manly to be acclaimed as party’s Nanaimo-Ladysmith candidate

Nanaimo council concerned about Terminal Avenue supportive housing project

Residents point to a lack of safety and security in the neighbourhood

Transport truck driver identified as one victim in double fatal head-on crash

Clifford Bishop, 54, a resident of Cassidy, had been a truck driver since he was 18

Nanaimo council supports borrowing $4.6M for Port Theatre expansion

City councillors pass first three readings of borrowing bylaw

UK lawmakers reject Brexit deal in 432-202 vote

House of Commons votes against the deal struck between Britain’s government and the EU

Awards finalists announced after ‘good year for business’

Vancouver Island Business Excellence Awards organizers reveal 85 finalists

Second fatal crash occurs in Alberni Valley

Traffic on Highway 4 is being re-routed as investigators are en route

Indigenous energy summit includes session on pipeline ownership options

Steven Saddleback of the Indian Resource Council says a session will feature presentations on financing models

Japanese grand champion Kisenosato retires from sumo

The 32-year-old Kisenosato was the first Japanese-born wrestler in 19 years to gain promotion to sumo’s highest rank

UPDATE: Accused B.C. high school killer found fit to stand trial

Gabriel Klein is accused in the 2016 stabbing death of Letisha Reimer at Abbotsford Senior Secondary

Right-wing, neo-Nazi, white supremacist groups an increasing concern: Goodale

Ten people died in April 2018 when Alek Minassian allegedly drove a rental van down the busy stretch in Toronto

Canadian stock exchanges to conduct lottery for ‘POT’ ticker amid high demand

The symbol became available after fertilizer Potash Corp. officially merged with Agrium Inc. in early 2018

VIDEO: Mattress fire at Cowichan Hospital under investigation

The Cowichan District Hospital was locked down on Tuesday afternoon due to… Continue reading

Most Read