The protest camp set up on the grounds of Nanaimo City Hall has been there nine days. CHRIS BUSH/The News Bulletin

No guarantee tents will be taken down at city hall

City council approved $350,000 in social spending at Monday’s meeting

Homeless people at Nanaimo’s tent city might not be ready to break camp quite yet.

The protest camp set up on the grounds of Nanaimo City Hall has been there almost nine days, and organizers achieved some of their goals as city council approved at Monday’s meeting $350,000 in spending to address social issues including homelessness.

But the campers might not be leaving right away.

Matthew O’Donnell, spokesman for the camp-out, praised council’s actions, which include more funding for the extreme weather shelter, public shower facilities, a rent supplement program and a daytime drop-in centre. He said supportive housing continues to represent another key solution.

“In the meantime, we must find a place for our homeless population to safely live in peace without bothering the neighbourhood around them,” O’Donnell said. “It’s the human thing to do and we can absolutely do it. We cannot accept anything less, realistically, because, like I said, people are suffering on the ground right now.”

His comments concerned Coun. Jerry Hong, who pointed out that O’Donnell had promised the tents would come down if city council approved the social spending.

O’Donnell said he would have a conversation with the campers at city hall, but “there are about 40 homeless people who live in that tent city and in the end it’s their decision.”

He said the camp-out started as civil disobedience, but became a safe space for people in Nanaimo experiencing homelessness.

Mercedes Courtoreille, who isn’t homeless but camped at city hall last week in solidarity, said she noticed that at last week’s council meeting, some people seemed shocked to hear that there are hundreds of homeless people in Nanaimo.

“This number is not new. You just haven’t seen them,” she said. “Which would you prefer, human beings being forced to hide in shame, isolated in the woods so we don’t have to see them, or would you prefer helping your fellow human being who is down on their luck? … Providing people with housing is literally the least that we could do.”

City council unanimously passes all nine recommendations from last week’s finance and audit committee meeting. The aforementioned measures will be supplemented by provision of more portable toilets, garbage cans and needle disposal boxes and more security and cleanups downtown.

“These nine recommendations are a major shift for this council…” said Coun. Diane Brennan. “That’s good to see that we can move when challenged, and certainly, we have been challenged.”



editor@nanaimobulletin.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Just Posted

Tommy Chong says cannabis legalization makes him proud to be a Canadian

Legendary marijuana advocate and comedian celebrates cultural milestone at Kelowna event

Discontent City can remain where it is until the end of next month

B.C. Supreme Court judge grants application for an extension to comply with injunction

SD68 candidates make last pitch prior to election

Nanaimo Duncan and District Labour Council hosted a meet-and-greet for prospective school trustees

LETTER TO THE EDITOR: So much for ‘say no to drugs’ in Canada

I’m from the ‘users are losers’ generation, says letter writer

Former Nanaimo Daily News editor writes first business book

Book launch for It Worked For Them, It Will Work For Me is Tuesday, Oct. 23

UPDATE: Shots fired at house during fight in Nanaimo

Shots were fired at about 2:30 p.m. Thursday in 500 block of Kennedy Street, say RCMP

Candidate lists finalized for Nanaimo, Lantzville, RDN, school district

Nomination deadline passes in advance of Oct. 20 local government elections

Election 2018: candidate questionnaires

News Bulletin’s questionnaire responses for Nanaimo, Lantzville, school board, regional district

When to vote, where to vote, how to vote

Voting day is Oct. 20, with polls open 8 a.m.-8 p.m.

Beefs & Bouquets, Oct. 18

To submit a beef or bouquet to the Nanaimo News Bulletin, e-mail bulletinboard@nanaimobulletin.com

Chicken and Broadway on the menu at Bite of Nanaimo

Food, music and roving broadway characters a recipe for TheatreOne fundraiser Friday, Oct. 19

‘Mom, I’m in trouble:’ Canadian faces 10 years for alleged graffiti

Brittney Schneider, another tourist caught spraying message on walls of Tha Pae Gate in Thailand

Feds consulting on national anti-racism strategy behind closed doors

Heritage Minister Pablo Rodriguez says people still face systemic racism in some communities

Enbridge aims for mid-November to finish B.C. pipeline repair after blast

A natural gas pipeline that ruptured and burned near Prince George caused an explosion and fireball

Most Read