A Nanaimo RCMP officer inspects a car during a lockdown at Dover Bay Secondary School on Friday, Feb. 21. (Chris Bush/News Bulletin)

No credible threat found during high school lockdown, say Nanaimo RCMP

Police won’t say if lockdown at Dover Bay Secondary was related to one at the school last fall

While a north Nanaimo high school was placed on lockdown earlier today, police didn’t find a credible threat within the school, say RCMP.

Dover Bay Secondary School was placed on a hold-and-secure, later elevated to a lockdown, after a threat was directed at the school Friday. Nanaimo Ladysmith Public Schools said it implements hold-and-secures if there are “a security concern in the neighbourhood” and lockdown “in response to an armed or dangerous assailant within the school,” but according to Const. Gary O’Brien, Nanaimo RCMP spokesman, the moves were precautionary. No arrests were made, though the investigation is ongoing.

“We had the initial information about a threat directed at the school and certain students,” O’Brien said. “We kept [the hold-and-secure] in place while we were doing the investigation. As the investigation progressed, more information came in, which elevated the risk assessment, so out of an abundance of caution, it was placed in [lockdown].”

O’Brien said through investigation, police deemed that the further information they received was not credible at all.

“It was right at the end of the day, so we didn’t have a chance to go from lockdown to hold-and-secure and out. They just came in (and said), ‘OK, it’s time to get the kids out. Let’s keep the police on scene,’ and the parents and the kids like to see that and we did that too out of an abundance of caution. You never know.”

story continues below

RELATED: Dover Bay Secondary no longer under lockdown

O’Brien wouldn’t comment on whether there was any relation between today’s lockdown and a lockdown at Dover Bay back in November.

“There are similarities for sure,” said O’Brien. “We are looking at those, but that’s as far as we can go with that.”

McGirr Elementary School was also placed on hold-and-secure due to its vicinity to Dover Bay, but its status was never elevated.

O’Brien said Nanaimo RCMP is meeting with school district officials to review the matter and see “what we did well and what we can work on.”

“It’s an extremely concerning situation for everybody involved,” said O’Brien. “We know when we’re dealing with teenagers (and) we realize when we’re dealing with younger children they get extremely excited and we understand that and we’re just trying to keep everybody safe. We’re working as closely and as professionally as we can with everybody involved to resolve it in a safe way.”

There were no injuries, said O’Brien and motorists respected traffic control measures.

READ ALSO: Three Nanaimo schools in lockdown after threat



reporter@nanaimobulletin.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

RCMP

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

City of Nanaimo challenges families to Instagram their park explorations

ParkIt challenge set up to offer prizes to cap off days at the park

Nanaimo RCMP want speeding motorists to ‘slow the blazes down’

Police raise alarm after seeing 400-per cent rise in excessive speeding tickets last month

Top central Vancouver Island health official retires

Island Health says Dr. Paul Hasselback’s replacement to be named shortly

17-year-old girl from Nanaimo reported missing

RCMP asking for help finding Trisha Harry

B.C. appeals judge’s decision to leave three clubhouses in Hells Angels hands

The province has filed two notices of appeal related to the B.C. Supreme Court decision

B.C. identifies 20 new COVID-19 cases, travellers specified in count

Pandemic total 3,028 cases, 51 people from outside Canada

Campaign aims to raise $50K for young family of deceased Vancouver Island skydiver

James Smith, 34, died July 5 following incident in Nanoose Bay

Survey, hotline launched amid probe into racist blood-alcohol guessing game at B.C. hospital

Mary Ellen Turpel-Lafond has been appointed to lead an investigation by Health Minister Adrian Dix

Canadian policing organization calls for decriminalization of simple illicit drug possession

Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police want policing focus of opioid crisis to be replaced with a health one

B.C. ports part of data integration project to protect marine ecosystems

The $1.2 M federally funded program will draw crucial baseline data from Canada’s three coastlines

Filing deadline in RCMP sexual-harassment class-action extended due to COVID-19

Plaintiffs now have until January 2021 to submit claims for up to $222,000

Jamie Bacon pleads guilty to charge in Surrey Six case

The plea brings an end to a complex legal case that has spanned more than a decade

World’s biggest Nanaimo bar confirmed, but it’s not in Nanaimo

Two Ontario children set the bar high with successful biggest Nanaimo bar world record attempt

Hefty undeclared driver charges piling up, ICBC warns customers

Average extra penalty $2,971 after an at-fault accident

Most Read