One man was sent to hospital and eight other people were left temporarily homeless by a fire in a Nanaimo townhouse complex Monday morning.
Nanaimo Fire Rescue responded with six units when the alarm came shortly after 6 a.m. that a fire had broken out in the Madrona Village townhouse complex at 25 Pryde Ave. in Nanaimo’s Quarterway district.
The fire affected a block of four townhouses – units 19-21 – gutted unit 21, heavily damaged unit 22, and caused smoke damage to units 20 and 19.
Karen Lindsay, Nanaimo Emergency Program coordinator, said unit 21 was fully engulfed in flame when firefighters arrived. One man living in that unit was taken to Nanaimo Regional General Hospital for smoke inhalation and was expected to be released later that day.
“Through their rapid response, crews managed to limit damage to two units,” Lindsay said.
Firefighters were still dealing with hot spots in the structure shortly before 9 a.m.
Lindsay said one woman living in unit 22, a couple living in unit 20 and a man, woman and three children living in unit 19 all evacuated safely.
“They all got 72 hours temporary lodging and assistance under the community assistance program,” Lindsay said.
Ennis Mond, Nanaimo Fire Rescue fire prevention officer, had not determined the cause of the fire by Monday morning, and was still waiting to interview the man taken to hospital. Investigators were also trying to contact two witnesses to the fire.
“We’ve got to finish those two interviews off,” Mond said.
The woman living in unit 22 had insurance. Lindsay said she did not immediately know if the other tenants had coverage.