NEWSMAKERS: White takes centre stage on issues

NANAIMO – Chief Doug White was chosen one of the News Bulletin's newsmakers of 2013 for his representation of Snuneymuxw issues.

Chief Doug White put Snuneymuxw First Nation issues front and centre in 2013.

Involvement in two of Nanaimo’s high-profile news stories of 2013, amongst other things, has current Snuneymuxw First Nation Chief Doug White III as a newsmaker in 2013.

The Colliery dams were a polarizing topic and one that captured local, provincewide and national attention, as people and politicians debated the removal of the Harewood dams.

The middle and lower dams were set to be taken down in July but thanks to a 30-day consultation process initiated by White and Snuneymuxw, Nanaimo city council eventually voted unanimously to cancel a tender that would have seen demolition of the dams, opting instead to examine short-term mitigation.

Mayor John Ruttan said the consultation prevented any reasonable chance of dam removal this season.

Parents continue to fume about Nanaimo school district’s 10-year Enhanced Facilities for Learning Plan. As part of the plan, schools were closed in 2013 but an impending school closure was the basis of legal action that White and Snuneymuxw are taking against the school district.

The closure of Cedar Community Secondary School at end of the 2013-14 school year earned the ire of many and Snuneymuxw First Nation first announced it was launching legal action in September, filing an application for a judicial review of the decision to close Cedar-area schools in December – Woodbank Elementary and North Cedar Intermediate schools were also named.

Snuneymuxw pays $1 million a year to the school district and White said there was a lawful obligation for the district to consult with the First Nation regarding school closures, something he says didn’t happen.

In addition, White signed a reconciliation agreement with the provincial government in March and in May, he and Snuneymuxw announced an agreement with Waterfront Holdings Ltd. regarding collaboration on current and future waterfront development. Two weeks ago, White announced a $1.7-million project that will see a sewage line built for two reserves as well as a pump station.

His term as chief will end in February however, as he was narrowly defeated by 13 votes in the Snuneymuxw First Nation election earlier in December to councillor John Wesley.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Military police motorcycle relay roars through Nanaimo

National fundraising ride visited Mt. Benson legion en route to Lantzville and Campbell River

Wildfire southwest of Nanaimo now largely under control

Crews have been on the scene since Friday

Island Health warning of spike in overdoses in Nanaimo area

Substance users advised to visit overdose prevention site on Wesley Street in Nanaimo

Beefs & Bouquets, Aug. 5

To submit a beef or a bouquet to the Nanaimo News Bulletin, e-mail editor@nanaimobulletin.com

Reuse Rendezvous invites Nanaimo residents to get rid of items that others might want

Annual city-wide swap meet happens Saturday and Sunday, Aug. 8-9

B.C. doctors, dentists call on province for mandatory mask rule

Open letter says masks should be worn in indoor public spaces, public transportation or in crowds

Dwindling B.C. bamboo supply leaves Calgary Zoo biologists worried about pandas

Zoo has been trying to send pandas back to China since May

Facebook launches its new TikTok clone, Instagram Reels

Facebook has a long tradition of cloning competitive services

‘We all have anxieties’: B.C.’s top doctor addresses return-to-school fears amid COVID-19

Dr. Bonnie Henry promises school restart plan safe for B.C. kids

Stock the Lockers drive for vulnerable students in Nanaimo begins

Nanaimo-Ladysmith Schools Foundation exec says students need support leading up to fall semester

Peace ceremony in Nanaimo will be a little different in a pandemic

Hiroshima Day will be observed during the afternoon Aug. 6 at Maffeo Sutton Park

B.C. Appeal Court prevents Victoria woman from using the term ‘death midwife’ in her job

Pashta MaryMoon claimed she had been providing “death-care services” for more than 40 years

Most Read