New NDSS tops board’s priorities

NANAIMO – A new Nanaimo District Secondary School and Harewood school demolition are priorities in school district's five-year capital plan.

A new Nanaimo District Secondary School, a larger Hammond Bay Elementary gym and Harewood school demolition are the top three priorities in Nanaimo school district’s current five-year capital plan.

B.C.’s Ministry of Education requires school boards to submit five-year plans annually, providing information on priority projects. Trustees approved the 2015-16 plan at a meeting Nov. 4, with potential projects totalling $122 million.

According to Pete Sabo, school district director of planning and operations, money hasn’t been allocated, rather the district has requested project funding from the ministry in specific years for those amounts.

The district requested $66.5 million for a new school on the Nanaimo District Secondary site in 2017-18, with capacity increasing to 1,800.

Sabo said the request doesn’t mean construction for a new high school will occur in 2018.

“A number of studies, discussions and determinations will be required to determine if and when the ministry may consider approving a project at NDSS,” Sabo said in an e-mail.

Demolition of the old Harewood Elementary School, ranked third in priority, was requested in 2015-16 in the amount of $589,000. A timeline would be established if ministry approval is given, according to Sabo. The school was shuttered in 2004. Sabo said it is past its useful life and requires demolition in the near future.

“It has now been closed for over 10 years and the district has determined there would be no future use in its current condition,” said Sabo. “Roof leaks have further deteriorated its condition. It is becoming a candidate for removal.”

During budget consultation in March, parents expressed concerns about Hammond Bay Elementary’s half-sized gym, saying its maximum capacity is 312, less than the school’s enrolment.

The gym project was prioritized No. 2, with a request for $853,551 in 2017-18.

Sabo said the plan is subject to change.

reporter@nanaimobulletin.com

Just Posted

This year’s Maple Sugar Festival will be sweet

L’Association des francophones de Nanaimo hosts 17th Maple Sugar Festival this weekend

Adopted pet pig gets killed and eaten

Animal was adopted out by SPCA staff in the Cowichan Valley

Snowfall in Nanaimo creating slippery roads, causing flight disruptions

No snowfall warning in effect, but snow forecasted to intensify

UPDATE: 13-year-old Nanaimo boy located

Chaas Mearns, 13, had been reported missing Jan. 30

VIDEO: What you need to know today at the B.C. Games

All 19 events are underway across Kamloops, where five to 10 cm of snow is expected to fall

Beefs & Bouquets, Feb. 22

To submit a beef or a bouquet to the Nanaimo News Bulletin, e-mail bulletinboard@nanaimobulletin.com

This year’s Maple Sugar Festival will be sweet

L’Association des francophones de Nanaimo hosts 17th Maple Sugar Festival this weekend

Hundreds march for justice in death of Winnipeg teen

Tina Fontaine was pulled from a river in 2014, her body wrapped in a blanket and weighed down by rocks

Maritimes want their own CFL team

Their biggest hurdle is getting a stadium commitment in place

Wounded Warrior Run BC makes it to the Comox Valley

Day four of the annual fundraiser saw the team stop in Courtenay and Comox

Sask. school shooter to be sentenced as adult

The man was just shy of his 18th birthday when he killed four people and injured seven others

Internet questions PM’s fashion choices in India

The Trudeaus’ eight-day visit has been dogged by various controversies since it began Feb. 17

Most Read