Nanaimo is still cleaning up after last week’s wind storm.
The City of Nanaimo released information advising residents of clean-up advice following Thursday’s heavy winds that toppled trees, downed branches and knocked out power, in some cases for days.
“The unprecedented wind storm last Thursday has created quite a mess,” said John Elliot, senior manager of public works, in a press release. “The city has been working closely with B.C. Hydro, Shaw Cable and Telus to ensure all utility lines have been powered down and are safe before city crews open roadways.”
The City of Nanaimo advises that leaves and light yard trimmings, with branches less than five millimetres in diameter, can be placed in green bins.
“Please be careful not to pack it in so tight that it won’t empty when the truck tips it. Do not put larger branches into the green cart for pickup, as the composting plant can’t process it and your cart won’t be picked up on collection day,” the press release notes.
Larger branches can be taken to private depots, where tipping fees will apply. The city suggests Alpine Disposal and Recycling, the Regional District of Nanaimo landfill, DBL Disposal, Pacific Coast Waste Management, MacNutt Enterprises and Sharecost Rentals and Sales.
The city notes that food that was spoiled during the power outage can be placed in green bins, but non-compostable packaging needs to be removed first.
At one point in the aftermath of the wind storm, all city parks and trails were closed; now, only the Beban Park Golf Course trail and the Parkway Trail remain closed.
“Most parks and trails are open and ready for use. We ask that the public enjoy the parks during the holiday season but please continue to use caution as many parks still have debris remaining from the windstorm,” said Elizabeth Williams, city manager of recreation services, in the press release.