Nanaimo Ladysmith Public Schools anticipates receiving a similar amount of annual facilities grant money for 2020/21 as in 2019/20. (News Bulletin file)

Nanaimo school district uses contingency fund for emergency school repairs

Nanaimo district staff expect about $2.7 million as its annual facilities grant from the province

With Nanaimo Ladysmith Public Schools’ 2019-20 annual facilities grant-funded project list near completion, the school district dipped into contingency to repair a cooling system at Dover Bay Secondary School.

The B.C. government provides money to school districts every year to maintain school buildings and during the district March business committee presentation, Brian Hackwood, district assistant director of planning and operations, said the situation at Dover Bay was one of few unexpected situations requiring immediate attention.

The district received approximately $2.7 million in facilities grant money in 2019-20 and Hackwood said about 95 per cent of that has been spent. However, the district also has a “fairly large contingency,” totalling $283,131, to deal with “things that come up last minute.”

“At Dover Bay, the main chiller for the entire place failed and that was [a $99,069] job and that just came absolutely out of the blue and it was a 10-week order to get the part in and it’s all hands on deck,” Hackwood said. “All their computer labs had no cooling. The administration area had no cooling, the library had no cooling and we just had to react instantly to deal with this.”

Other emergent situations that occurred were boiler failure at Cedar Elementary School which cost $10,504 to repair. Roof-top heating unit replacement at Wellington Secondary School had a price tag of $7,500. The district also spent $80,406 on a broken fire alarm at Georgia Avenue Elementary School.

“For three weeks we had to stand a guard in there, so we have to have somebody in the building when we have a fire alarm down, so somebody had to sit in that building … every night while the fire alarm was down,” said Hackwood. “So that contingency really allows us to react quickly to this sort of issue.”

According to the school district, “status quo [annual facilities grant] funding for 2020-21” of $2.73 million is anticipated, minus $47,298 going to capital asset management services.

A little more than one-third of the 2020-21 grant money (or $939,011) will be spent on roof work, with a $266,000 expenditure at Uplands Park and $260,400 at Cedar Elementary, according to the report. Among other projects, work on a canopy at the Island ConnectEd facility ($30,000) and portable roof work at École North Oyster ($40,000).

The district will also spend $75,000 on remediation for lead in drinking water.

RELATED: SD68 starts from scratch, testing water for lead

RELATED: Island schools see $15M in upgrades



reporter@nanaimobulletin.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Black Lives solidarity demonstration fills Nanaimo park

Anti-racism protest held at Maffeo Sutton Park on Friday afternoon

Nanaimo RCMP seek help locating missing indigenous youth

Family of William Baker worries he’s in company of people putting him at risk

Nanaimo man wanted on assault warrants

John Bates wanted following two separate incidents from earlier this year

Stz’uminus motivational speaker and musician named ‘emerging cultural leader’ in Nanaimo

Patrick Aleck is among the recipients of the city’s Culture and Heritage Awards

Plan in place for B.C. Ferries to start increasing service levels

Ferry corporation reaches temporary service level agreement with province

‘I’m pissed, I’m outraged’: Federal minister calls out police violence against Indigenous people

Indigenous Minister Marc Miller spoke on recent incidents, including fatal shooting of a B.C. woman

Kelowna Mountie who punched suspect identified, condemned by sister

‘How did he get away with this? How is this justifiable?’

PHOTOS: Anti-racism protesters gather in communities across B.C.

More protests are expected through the weekend

Facing changes together: Your community, your journalists

The COVID-19 pandemic has changed the world in ways that would have… Continue reading

Pair accused of ‘horrific’ assault at Vancouver’s Oppenheimer Park at large

Police say Jason Tapp, 30, and Nicole Edwards, 33, did not show up to meet their bail supervisor this week

No charges to be laid against 22 northern B.C. pipeline protesters

Twenty-two people were arrested in February, but Crown has decided not to pursue charges

B.C. starts to see employment return under COVID-19 rules

Jobless rate for young people still over 20% in May

Parcel stolen from front porch, Nanaimo RCMP looking for suspect

Unidentified woman allegedly stole package containing $400 smart watch

Most Read