UPDATE: Nanaimo man who had been missing since New Year’s Eve located

RCMP say 57-year-old is ‘safe and sound’

Nanaimo RCMP are asking for the public’s help to try to find 57-year-old Gerald McCauley. (Photo submitted)

UPDATE: The 57-year-old man who was reported missing has been located and is safe and sound, according to Nanaimo RCMP.

PREVIOUSLY POSTED: A Nanaimo man who went looking for an item he believed was stolen never returned from that search.

RCMP are asking for the public’s help to try to find a 57-year-old Nanaimo man, according to a press release.

Gerald McCauley hasn’t been seen nor heard from since the afternoon of Dec. 31, Nanaimo RCMP say.

“McCauley has significant medical issues and requires daily medication. As a result, his friends are extremely worried for his safety and well-being,” notes the release.

McCauley has lived in a van parked in a driveway downtown for the past two months, but on Dec. 31, he told a friend he was going out to look for a generator that he believed someone stole from him.

“Investigators have contacted all emergency shelters in Nanaimo and various other resources in the area but have been unable to locate him,” the release notes.

McCauley is Caucasian, 5-foot-8, 150 pounds, with salt and pepper hair and glasses. When last seen, he was wearing a black jacket over top of a black hoodie, blue jeans and black runners. He may be accompanied by a small Yorkshire Terrier named Tiko.

Anyone with information about the missing man’s whereabouts is asked to contact the Nanaimo RCMP non-emergency line at 250-754-2345 and quote file No. 2020-233.

TODAY’S MOST-READ: B.C. mom gets $368 traffic ticket for touching phone mounted to dashboard

YESTERDAY’S MOST-READ: B.C.’s south coast should prepare for power outage ahead of storm, says B.C. Hydro



editor@nanaimobulletin.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Neighbours try to clean up around nuisance drug house on Milton Street in Nanaimo

560 Milton St. was declared a nuisance property last month

RDN Transit requiring masks for most come end of month

Masks, hand sanitizer to be handed out in Regional District of Nanaimo mask policy campaign

Vancouver Island films sought for One Minute Mobile Movie Challenge

All entries to be screened online in virtual film festival

LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Have a heart when it comes to homelessness

When we de-humanize people, it’s easier to be cruel to them, says letter writer

Major injuries averted after three-vehicle crash in Nanoose Bay

Poor road conditions believed a factor in early-morning mishap

371 British Columbians battling COVID-19, health officials confirm

Thursday (Aug. 6) saw a second straight day of nearly 50 new confirmed cases

Beefs & Bouquets, Aug. 5

To submit a beef or a bouquet to the Nanaimo News Bulletin, e-mail editor@nanaimobulletin.com

COVID-19 tests come back negative for remote First Nation

“There are no suspected cases in the community at this time.”

Visitors and non-residents entering closed remote B.C. First Nation’s territories

With limited resources, they say they don’t have any authority or power to enforce the closures

UBC loses appeal on Fisheries Act convictions

BC Supreme Court upholds order to pay $1.55-million fine

Masks to be mandatory on BC Transit, TransLink starting Aug. 24

Both BC Transit and TransLink made the announcement in separate press releases on Thursday

Acclaimed B.C. actor Brent Carver passes away

Carver, one of Canada’s greatest actors with a career spanning 40 years, passed away at home in Cranbrook

B.C. would not send students back to school if there was ‘overwhelming risk’: Horgan

Plan has left many parents across the province worried about their children’s safety

Most Read