Nanaimo hospital locked down for second weapons threat

NANAIMO – Hospital locked down second day in a row for weapons threats.

Nanaimo Regional General Hospital was locked down for the second day in a row for a weapons threat.

Nanaimo RCMP said in a press release they received a call from hospital staff Wednesday at about 11:40 a.m.

Val Wilson, Island Health spokeswoman, confirmed it was a bomb threat that was made, but deferred all other comment about the investigation to Nanaimo RCMP.

Police locked down the facility and traced the call to an area near the hospital where, within an hour of receiving the threat complaint, they arrested a 52-year-old female suspect they had identified through their investigation.

The woman was held in custody and the RCMP is continuing its investigation into that incident as well as a weapons threat that had the hospital locked down Tuesday.

Nanaimo RCMP say there is no apparent link between the two incidents.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

RDN paid $35 million in wages last year, financial statements show

Statement of financial information, including salaries and expenses, will be presented to directors

Departure Bay ferry capacity increases to 70%, says B.C. Ferries

Fifty-per-cent limit being phased out, B.C. Ferries has no current plans to provide masks

Company with Nanaimo lab gets federal approval for psychedelic drug research

Numinus’ CEO says company seeing a shift in how people look at mental health treatment

Library takes Summer Reading Club online

Children, teens, parents in Nanaimo can participate in online reading challenges and events

More than 100 apartments for seniors approved in Nanaimo’s hospital area

Development permit issued for 1125 Seafield Cres.

QUIZ: Are you ready for a summer road trip?

How much do you really know about roads, motor vehicles and car culture? Take this quiz to find out.

Shellfish industry get funds to clean up at Island sites and beyond

Businesses can apply to cover half of costs to clean up so-called ‘ghost gear’

Amber Alert for two Quebec girls cancelled after bodies found

Romy Carpentier, 6, Norah Carpentier, 11, and their father, Martin Carpentier, missing since Wednesday

B.C. man prepares to be first to receive double-hand transplant in Canada

After the surgery, transplant patients face a long recovery

Grocers appear before MPs to explain decision to cut pandemic pay

Executives from three of Canada’s largest grocery chains have defended their decision to end temporary wage increases

Bringing support to Indigenous students and communities, while fulfilling a dream

Mitacs is a nonprofit organization that operates research and training programs

RCMP ‘disappointed’ by talk that race a factor in quiet Rideau Hall arrest

Corey Hurren, who is from Manitoba, is facing 22 charges

NHL’s Canadian hubs offer little economic benefit, but morale boost is valuable: experts

Games are slated to start Aug. 1 with six Canadian teams qualifying for the 24-team resumption of play

‘Made in the Cowichan Valley’ coming to a wine bottle near you

Cowichan Valley has the honour of being the first sub-GI outside of the Okanagan

Most Read