The Jean Burns building

The Jean Burns building

Nanaimo heritage building gutted by fire faces demolition

NANAIMO - Jean Burns building owner intends to tear down building after surveying extent of structural damage.

Rick Hyne, operating officer for Crankshaw Holdings, vented his frustration with the ongoing saga over the Jean Burns building in an online newsletter and at a Nanaimo city council meeting this week.

The building at the corner of Commercial Street and Terminal Avenue, which was heavily damaged by fire in March, was awaiting approval from WorkSafe B.C. and Crankshaw Holding’s insurance provider over methods and costs to clean up the site so decisions could be made whether to salvage or demolish the 100-year-old structure.

The delays, ongoing since July, prompted complaints to the city over the building’s appearance in an effort to force action to have the corner cleaned up. A report from city staff, requested by council, over what to do about the building included four recommendations, including one to have the building declared a nuisance property and force the owner to clean it up.

Hyne said the building owner and tenants have continued to be victimized following the fire by the complaints and constant break-ins and thefts.

“Last week, it think it was, we walked in there and there’s two people in there stealing things,” Hyne said at Monday’s meeting. “We caught them and tried to hold onto them. They jumped through a little hole in the drywall they’d cut holes in.”

Police attended and called in Nanaimo Fire Rescue to search the building, but the culprits weren’t found because they’d managed to conceal themselves in spaces between the floors or walls.

When asked by Coun. Ian Thorpe if security could be hired, even temporarily for the building, Hyne said the option had been looked at, but it’s expensive and he questioned whether security would be effective.

“For example, like I said, somebody busted out the Acme window the other day, right smack in the corner of Highway 1 and Commercial Street, right in the middle of the daytime and nobody noticed,” Hyne replied.

Hyne said he hoped cleanup work can start by Oct. 31 and that Crankshaw Holding’s insurance provider would make a decision soon afterward.

But, in an interview Tuesday, Hyne said there were new developments following a tour through the site with a structural engineer that morning, which indicated the building is in much worse condition than was initially estimated. Even if the structure could be salvaged, bringing it up to modern building codes would be prohibitively expensive. Hyne said the city was notified of the latest development.

“So now we’re trying to meet with people like WorkSafe and we’ve notified our insurance company that, You know what? You have enough evidence. Let’s move forward on this,” Hyne said. “That’s where we’re going to go right now. Our intention is to demolish the building.”

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

A Nanaimo man is offering a $300 reward for information that leads to the arrest and conviction of the person who broke into his SUV and stole components from his drone. (News Bulletin file photo)
Drone owner offering reward after components stolen from his vehicle in Nanaimo

Vehicle break-in happened last month on Departure Bay Road

Regenerative farming that meets genuine needs should take priority over commercial recklessness, says columnist. (Stock photo)
Column: Hubris, greed causing humans to live destructively

Placing the economy as the top priority is licence to destroy natural systems, says columnist

Kyle Patrick McGuire was give a nine-month non-custodial sentencing to be followed by two years of probation on Wednesday, March 3, at the Nanaimo Law Courts. (PQB News file photo)
Bowser man sentenced to house arrest after guilty plea to child pornography offence

Nine-month non-custodial sentence to be followed by two years probation

A concept for development of the Green Thumb property in north Nanaimo. (Barefoot Planning and Design image)
LETTERS TO THE EDITOR: Develop land with care and thought

It’s getting to the point that you can’t go a block without seeing more apartments, says letter writer

Nanaimo Community Archives is looking for submissions from homeowners who took on exterior renovation projects, no matter how big or how small, for the first Heritage House Renovations Awards. (News Bulletin file photo)
Nanaimo archives holding first Heritage House Renovation Awards

Judges want photos and descriptions of exterior renovations that enhanced character of Nanaimo homes

Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry updates B.C. on the COVID-19 situation. (B.C. government)
Dr. Bonnie Henry predicts a ‘post-pandemic world’ for B.C. this summer

‘Extending this second dose provides very high real-world protection to more people, sooner’

(Black Press Media files)
Medicine gardens help Victoria’s Indigenous kids in care stay culturally connected

Traditional plants brought to the homes of Indigenous kids amid the COVID-19 pandemic

The Conservation Officers Service is warning aquarium users after invasive and potentially destructive mussels were found in moss balls from a pet store. (BC Conservation Officers Service/Facebook)
Aquarium users in B.C. warned after invasive mussels found at pet store

Conservation officers were told the mussels were found in a moss ball from a Terrace pet store.

A rendering of Front Street transportation improvements set to get underway as soon as next week. (McElhanney image/City of Nanaimo)
Work set to start on Front Street cycle track in downtown Nanaimo

Road work and street reconfiguration project scheduled to start in March, finish in May

The Regional District of Nanaimo’s board is forwarding a motion on illegal dumping to the Association of Vancouver Island and Coastal Communities’ upcoming annual general meeting. (Kane Blake photo)
Regional District of Nanaimo motion seeks to ask province for help to combat illegal dumping

RDN resolution to be forwarded to Association of Vancouver Island and Coastal Communities

Victoria man Brett Andersen is asking for people’s help to secure him one of eight free tickets to the moon. (Screenshot/@brettandersen Instagram)
Victoria man wants your help securing a free ticket to the moon

Japanese billionaire offering eight people a trip to the moon

Hockey hall-of-fame legend Wayne Gretzky, right, watches the casket of his father, Walter Gretzky, as it is carried from the church during a funeral service in Brantford, Ont., Saturday, March 6, 2021. HE CANADIAN PRESS/Nathan Denette
Walter Gretzky remembered as a man with a ‘heart of gold’ at funeral

The famous hockey father died Thursday at age 82 after battling Parkinson’s disease

Most Read