College Drive was temporarily closed the morning of Jan. 11 in order to allow for Nanaimo Fire Rescue to battle a structure fire. (KARL YU/News Bulletin)

UPDATE: Woodstove ashes started fire at College Drive house

Two people displaced after house fire in Nanaimo on Saturday

UPDATE: Nanaimo Fire Rescue cautions homeowners to store wood stove ashes outdoors and away from combustibles following a house fire Saturday on College Drive.

Capt. Ennis Mond, head of Nanaimo Fire Rescue’s fire and loss prevention division, said storing wood stove ashes outside could have prevented a fire that damaged a house and displaced the homeowners on the weekend.

Mond said the fire started after the homeowner emptied the ashes from a downstairs wood stove. The ashes were put in a metal container that was placed under stairs leading to the upper floor of the house, and were too close to combustible materials that were also under the stairs, which ignited.

“There was pretty good damage to the house,” Mond said. “Water, heat, smoke, fire downstairs and smoke upstairs and the two people are displaced.”

Mond said wood stove ashes should always be disposed of in a metal container, but also placed outdoors away from any combustible materials in case the ashes still contain hot embers.

PREVIOUSLY POSTED: College Drive is anticipated to open to traffic within the hour after fire crews in Nanaimo responded to a structure fire late Saturday morning.

Nanaimo Fire Rescue, B.C. Ambulance Service and Fortis B.C. were all on scene at about 10:45 a.m. Jan. 11 after a report of a structure fire, across the highway from Vancouver Island University. The 1000 block of College Drive, between Camrose Place and Concordia Place, was closed off as firefighters extinguished the fire.

“We just had a small fire inside the home,” said Brad Wood, Nanaimo Fire Rescue assistant fire chief. “Not sure how it started. Our fire investigation branch is on its way up here. A couple of people were inside at the time, they got out. No injuries, fire’s out, under control and they’re just doing a bit of looking to the walls etc. for any extension.”

Wood said Fortis B.C. was notified as a precautionary measure.


More from the News Bulletin on Facebook and Twitter

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Federal Green leadership hopeful brings eco-socialist campaign to Nanaimo

Dimitri Lascaris one of nine candidates running for party leader

Garbage truck knocks down lamp post onto pickup in north Nanaimo

Emergency crews respond to Dickinson Crossing plaza mall Friday afternoon

Woman reunited with wedding ring she lost in Nanaimo

Qualicum Beach woman ‘over the moon’ after getting ring back, say RCMP

Artists adding finishing touches to new downtown Nanaimo murals

Three outdoor art works commissioned by Hub City Walls festival to be completed by Saturday

Artists adding finishing touches to new downtown Nanaimo murals

Three outdoor art works commissioned by Hub City Walls festival to be completed by Saturday

Beefs & Bouquets, Aug. 12

To submit a beef or a bouquet to the Nanaimo News Bulletin, e-mail editor@nanaimobulletin.com

Captain Horvat’s OT marker lifts Canucks to 4-3 win over Blues

Vancouver takes 2-0 lead in best-of-7 NHL playoff series with St. Louis

Widow of slain Red Deer doctor thanks community for support ahead of vigil

Fellow doctors, members of the public will gather for a physically-distanced vigil in central Alberta

Protesters showcase massive old yellow cedar as Port Renfrew area forest blockade continues

9.5-foot-wide yellow cedar measured by Ancient Forest Alliance campaigners in Fairy Creek watershed

Taking dog feces and a jackhammer to neighbourhood dispute costs B.C. man $16,000

‘Pellegrin’s actions were motivated by malice …a vindictive, pointless, dangerous and unlawful act’

Racist stickers at Keremeos pub leaves group uneasy and angry

The ‘OK’ hand gesture is a known hate-symbol

VIDEO: World responds to B.C. girl after pandemic cancels birthday party

Dozens of cards and numerous packages were delivered to six-year-old Charlie Manning

Most Read