A 24-year-old man was sentenced in B.C. Supreme Court in Nanaimo May 14 for a January 2017 incident in which a 17-year-old girl was sexually assaulted. (News Bulletin file)

Man sentenced in Nanaimo for sexually assaulting 17-year-old girl

Jacob Edkins sentenced to two years in B.C. Supreme Court on Tuesday

A 24-year-old man will spend two years, less a day, in a provincial jail for sexually assaulting a 17-year-old girl in Parksville in 2017.

Jacob Edkins, 24, stood trial in December, was found guilty by Judge Robin Baird on Jan. 16, and was sentenced in B.C. Supreme Court in Nanaimo Tuesday. According to Baird’s judgement, Edkins, 22 at the time, worked with the victim, whose identity is protected. Both were working on Jan. 6, 2017, after which Edkins gave the victim a ride home. After the victim got home, she and Edkins agreed to meet up and he picked her up around 2 or 3 a.m.

They drove down to Parksville’s waterfront, according to judgment documents, and consumed alcohol that had been brought by Edkins. Inside the van, he asked her if she wanted to engage in sexual intercourse and while the two people’s accounts vary, Baird said the victim expressed “considerable reluctance” about having sex and “in [Baird’s] view, the accused was on very clear notice early on that his sexual ambitions were not shared.”

The victim stepped out and smoked a cigarette and Edkins joined her. After talking they got back into the van, at which time, the victim said Edkins climbed on top of her in the front passenger seat. She told him to stop and she didn’t want to have sex, something Edkins denied in his testimony, but Edkins continued despite this.

Edkins was said to have performed oral sex on her and the victim was “pretty sure” she told him she didn’t want to, although she also said she was hyperventilating and in shock.

He said the sex was consensual and offered apologies for “being too persistent.” The victim subsequently went to police.

Catherine Hagen, Crown counsel, sought jail terms of two years to 30 months, while Peter Hertzberg, defence counsel, sought 18 months to two years, less a day.

Baird said he thought the accused was bright, but his perspective when it came to sexual relationships is wrong, particularly in equating reluctance to consent with failure to fight back. There was no doubt that forcing sexual activity on an unwilling partner is a serious crime, said Baird.

According to a psychological assessment, if Edkins continues to remain focused on his own needs, and not that of others, and maintains “backwards and dysfunctional views” of what equates to consensual sexual activity, then there is a high likelihood he will reoffend.

Baird said Edkins didn’t have a previous record and he thinks the accused will be corrected by a combination of a high-end provincial sentence and counselling and treatment.

In addition, Edkins will be ordered to register under the Sexual Offender Informaiton Registration Act for 20 years.


Find us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Comments are closed

Just Posted

House burns in Harewood, three people displaced

Dog unaccounted for after house fire Sunday evening

Man dies in ATV accident south of Nanaimo

Incident happened on backroad Friday night in Nanaimo Lakes area

LETTER TO THE EDITOR: No need to wait to enforce new speed limit in the north end

If safety is the goal, why is there a ‘grace period’ for motorists to adjust, asks letter writer

COVID-19: Uptick in calls to Haven Society crisis line as restrictions ease

Organization reminds people of their range of services

Nanaimo RCMP detachment resumes limited front counter service

Detachment front counter staff now processing police information checks

VIDEO: Injured bald eagle rescued in B.C. First Nations community

Bird suspected injured in fight, whisked off to Coquitlam rehab

Toronto Raptors’ Ujiri says conversations about racism can no longer be avoided

Thousands have protested Floyd’s death and repeated police killings of black men across the United States

B.C.’s Central Kootenay region declares state of emergency, issues evacuation orders

The evacuation alert covers all areas except the Cities of Castelgar and Nelson

‘I’m afraid’: Witnesses of wolf attack on senior near Prince Rupert worried about safety

Frank Russ shows where the unprovoked wolf attacked his father

Facing changes together: Your community, your journalists

The COVID-19 pandemic has changed the world in ways that would have… Continue reading

Protesters prepare to rally against racism in front of Vancouver Art Gallery

Rally is in response to the deaths of black Americans and a Toronto woman

Protesters rally against anti-black, Indigenous racism in Toronto

Police estimated the crowd to be between 3,500 and 4,000 and said there was no violence

Feds earmark $1.5M to support recovery of B.C., Indigenous tourism

B.C. money will be split between Vancouver Island and Indigenous tourism

‘We’re sick of it’: Anger over police killings shatters U.S.

Tens of thousands marched to protest the death of George Floyd

Most Read