A kitchen fire on Nanaimo send one man to hospital to be checked over for smoke inhalation Monday. (File photo)

Kitchen fire in Nanaimo sends one man to hospital

Fire damage displaces tenant and visiting family members from Sixth Street residence

One man was taken to hospital for smoke inhalation after fire broke out in a kitchen Monday in Harewood.

Firefighters responded to the alarm at a residence on the 400 block of Sixth Street shortly before 4 p.m.

The fire originated on the stove and ignited the kitchen cupboards.

“The kitchen had fire damage so [firefighters] had to tear the cabinets off the wall,” said Alan Millbank, Nanaimo Fire Rescue fire prevention officer.

One tenant was living in the townhouse, but several family members were visiting for the holiday season.

“The smoke alarm alerted the occupant who was home at the time and he attempted to extinguish the fire and got it out, but he had smoke inhalation,” Millbank said.

He said the victim’s smoke inhalation was not severe and he was taken to hospital primarily for observation.

The fire and smoke damage has made the residence uninhabitable until repairs can be carried out.

“They’re not able to stay in the premises so they had to be evacuated and I guess they stayed with relatives,” Millbank said.

The tenant did not have tenant’s insurance, he said.

During the holiday season, when decorations and heaters place extra demands on electrical outlets, and accommodating visiting guests and family members, Millbank said residents need to be extra vigilant about keeping an eye open to spot potential causes of fire.

“As we’re getting closer to Christmas people should be a little more careful, with extra people staying in the house, that bedding isn’t up against baseboard heaters and that people are aware that their wiring may not be sufficient for the amount of new decorations,” he said. “Everybody’s cooking, so their ovens need to be cleaned before they cook so they don’t have oven fires.”

READ ALSO: Electrical short caused motorhome fire in Nanaimo



photos@nanaimobulletin.com
Like us on
Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Licensed cannabis store opens in Nanaimo’s north end

Mood Cannabis Company’s Metral Drive location opened Jan. 18

Two women struck by vehicle at Nanaimo intersection

One woman taken to hospital with possible broken bones

Nanaimo school district to explore trustee wage increases, benefits

SD68 staff compile report comparing trustee remuneration with five similar school districts

Cars crash on old Island Highway at Mary Ellen Drive

No injuries reported in accident, which happened at about noon

New B.C. Cannabis Store opens up shop in Parksville

Outlet at Wembley Mall open seven days per week

VIDEO: Mass coronavirus quarantines seen in China won’t happen in Canada, authorities say

‘If a case comes here, and it is probably … it will still be business as normal’

Province’s oldest practising lawyer shares advice at her 100th birthday party

Firefighters bring Constance Isherwood a cake with 100 birthday candles

Vernon woman suing McDonald’s for spilled coffee

Woman seeking nearly $10K, says employee failed to put lid on properly

Diners’ health tax not catching on in B.C., restaurant group says

Small businesses look for options to cover employer health tax

Beefs & Bouquets, Jan. 23

To submit a beef or a bouquet to the Nanaimo News Bulletin, e-mail editor@nanaimobulletin.com

Former Mountie, sports coach convicted of sex abuse in B.C. granted day parole

Alan Davidson was sentenced to almost six years for abusing seven boys in the late 1970s and early 1990s

Maintenance work sees Sunday morning ferry sailing from Nanaimo cancelled

B.C. Ferries says Queen of Cowichan’s scheduled 6:15 a.m. sailing cancelled

B.C. comic wins judgment after club owner slaps cellphone out of his hands

Incident happened last summer when Garrett Clark was performing in Abbotsford

Most Read