Alan Millbank

Alan Millbank

Kitchen blaze sends Nanaimo man to hospital

NANAIMO – Firefighters rescue man from home damaged by late night kitchen fire.

One man was treated for smoke inhalation after the home he was renting caught fire early Thursday.

Firefighters arrived on scene at about 12:30 a.m. to find flames and smoke billowing out the kitchen window.

During a quick check of the exterior of the house firefighters banged on the walls during a more thorough check and noticed a light on in a bedroom. Soon after a man appeared in the bedroom window.

“I guess banging on the wall woke the guy up who was already in the process of taking on smoke inhalation,” said Martin Drakeley, Nanaimo Fire Rescue assistant chief of operations. “He kind of half bailed out the window and they were able to go back to where he was and yard him out of the window.”

The tenant was taken to Nanaimo Regional General Hospital for treatment and observation.

No one else was in the home.

Ennis Mond, fire prevention officer, said the short circuit of the refrigerator’s electrical cord, which frayed due to vibration against another item behind the fridge, triggered the fire.

Fire damage was contained to the kitchen area, but there was smoke damage throughout the upper floor of the house.