Nanaimo organizations are working to address social isolation among seniors through their project Seniors Connect. Left to right are Lesley Clarke, executive director of Nanaimo Women’s Centre; Deborah Hollins, executive director of Nanaimo Family Life Association; John Horn, City of Nanaimo social planner; Joan Ryan with the Nanaimo Lifeline Program; and Penny MacCourt with Better Together: Age-Friendly Nanaimo. TAMARA CUNNINGHAM/News Bulletin

Initiatives aim to cut back on social isolation for Nanaimo’s seniors

Five Nanaimo agencies are working together through Seniors Connect

A meal among neighbours is the latest proposal to help seniors connect to the community.

Five Nanaimo agencies, armed with more than $2 million from the federal government over the next three years, are tackling social isolation among seniors through Seniors Connect, a project that’s seen a new drop-in centre, investment in age-friendly infrastructure and outreach service. Now there’s a pitch to expand the original proposal to include a program like Britain’s The Big Lunch, where people are drawn out of their homes and into the street to share a meal.

The aim is to help connect seniors to their communities and reduce social isolation with Nanaimo Family Life, City of Nanaimo, Nanaimo Lifeline, Nanaimo Women’s Centre and Better Together: Age-Friendly Nanaimo, leading the charge.

The 2016 census shows 22 per cent of Nanaimo’s population is over the age of 65 and social isolation is a “big issue” according to Deborah Hollins, executive director of Nanaimo Family Life, who says it can be caused from poverty, where people live, a need for transportation or lack of awareness about activities.

“We just finished our first year [of Seniors Connect] and I can tell you we have incredible things happening in the community and we’re getting really good feedback from seniors,” she said.

A Seniors Connect committee has been getting public feedback about where the City of Nanaimo should put its share of the funding, with the first investment being a $25,000 contribution towards a bus shelter near the Bowen Park activity centre. City social planner John Horn said there’s an active seniors’ program at Bowen park but when people come out of the program to catch the bus, there’s no shelter there. It had been removed and wasn’t replaced.

He said the committee will continue to get public feedback and identify key changes that can be made.

There’s also a plan to apply for funding this month for a program like The Big Lunch.

“We thought we’d steal that idea about food and convening people and bringing them out of their houses but they don’t have to go very far…” said Horn, adding the program could involve breakfast, lunch and then he’d like to see a white tablecloth, sit-down dinner on the street in front of homes to draw people out several times. By knowing neighbours, Horn believes people are safer, but it’s also a way of drawing seniors out of their homes.

Visit goo.gl/WfgQh4 for a survey on how to make Nanaimo age-friendly. To learn more about Seniors Connect, please visit https://www.nanaimoseniorsconnect.ca/.

news@nanaimobulletin.com

Just Posted

Nanaimo women look for forward steps at march

Nanaimo Women March On held downtown on Saturday

Nanaimo candidate, premier address spec tax at B.C. NDP event

Premier John Horgan and Sheila Malcolmson say speculation and vacancy tax addresses homelessness

RDN board to vote on spending $150,000 for mapping software

ESRI Canada successful RFP proponent, RDN to vote as part of 2019 budget

Nanaimo’s École Hammond Bay school unveils new gym expansion

Larger gym can accommodate home games and assemblies

VIDEO: Students in MAGA hats mock Native American at Indigenous Peoples March

Diocese in Kentucky says it is investigating the matter, caught on video by onlookers

CONSUMER REPORT: What to buy each month in 2019 to save money

Resolve to buy all of the things you want and need, but pay less money for them

UPDATE: B.C. woman and boy, 6, found safe, RCMP confirm

Roseanne Supernault says both she and her six-year-old nephew are fine and she has contacted police

Anxiety in Alaska as endless aftershocks rattle residents

Seismologists expect the temblors to continue for months, although the frequency has lessened

PHOTOS: Women’s Marches take to the streets across B.C. and beyond

Women and allies marched worldwide protesting violence against women, calling for equality

Beefs & Bouquets, Jan. 17

To submit a beef or a bouquet to the Nanaimo News Bulletin, e-mail bulletinboard@nanaimobulletin.com

Women’s March returns across the U.S. amid shutdown and controversy

The original march in 2017, the day after President Donald Trump’s inauguration, drew hundreds of thousands of people

Federal Liberals announce former B.C. MLA as new candidate in byelection

Richard Lee will face off against federal NDP leader Jagmeet Singh

No winning ticket in $10 million Lotto Max jackpot

No win in Friday night’s draw means the next Lotto Max draw will be approximately $17 million

Most Read