In-wall heater caused Nanaimo blaze

Nanaimo fire crews respond to house fire in Long Lake Estates.

A malfunctioning in-wall electrical heater is the suspected cause of a fire in a house in the 100 block of Rainbow Crescent in Long Lake Estates.

Nanaimo Fire Rescue crews responded to the fire call at 3 p.m. Sunday.

Fire inspector Ennis Mond said the heating system overheated, igniting studs inside a wall.

“The crews had to cut away interior and exterior walls to get  the fire out,” he said.

Damage to the house was contained to the wall and studs.