Fundraising campaign meant to keep Men’s Centre afloat

Centre has warned it could close this summer without funding help

Every little bit helps, according to Theo Boere, executive director of the Men’s Centre, whose organization has kick-started a fundraising campaign to help keep its programs afloat.

The organization, which warned last week it could close without financial aid, is turning to the public for donations with its ‘Save the Centre’ fundraising campaign.

For 16 years, the Men’s Centre has offered programs to men and their families from across B.C. and Vancouver Island. Its office in the Old City Quarter has racks of work clothes and suits, free for men seeking jobs or heading to court, and it offers services like supervised access to children, free counselling and domestic violence prevention.

RELATED: Men’s Centre warns it will have to close

But the organization said in a press release it’s struggling to survive year after year with only short-term grant funding and will close if the provincial government doesn’t step up to the plate and fund the centre adequately. At a meeting with the solicitor general and Nanaimo MLA Leonard Krog last year, the Men’s Centre asked for $400,000 annually to operate, according to Boere.

Krog told the News Bulletin last week he couldn’t make any promises or commitments but he’s been working with the Minister of Public Safety and Solicitor General’s office and he’s hopeful to get the centre a little bit of money. Solicitor General Mike Farnworth also said in an e-mailed statement his ministry would connect with the organization in the coming days. Boere hadn’t heard from the province as of late Tuesday afternoon.

The Men’s Centre is starting its fundraising campaign with a $20,000 goal, which Boere said will keep the centre open on a bare bones budget until it gets gaming funding this winter.

“What I hope and what I see and what I’m encouraged by over the last week is the amount of community emotional and volunteer support that people are willing to put out and some people are certainly donating dollars and that will help us stay open, will increase our longevity,” said Boere. “But what I sincerely hope is that the province will step up to the plate and allow the men and fathers of this province to have adequate resources.”

For more information about the campaign see www.themenscentre.ca.



news@nanaimobulletin.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Just Posted

District of Lantzville spent nearly $90K on legal fees last year

Legal expenses up more than $40,000 over last year

MULTIMEDIA: All that glitters at Nanaimo Gem and Mineral Show

Second-annual event offers stones, crystals and handmade jewelry

UPDATE: Discontent City campers don’t plan on leaving

City of Nanaimo issues trespass notice at downtown homeless camp

RDN and CUPE 401 ratify three-year deal

Collective agreement retroactive to Jan. 1 and runs until the end of December 2020

Trans Mountain pipeline: Is it worth the risk?

Concerns range from the threat of an oil spill to the impact of tanker traffic on wildlife

City showcases power of public works to Nanaimo students

City of Nanaimo holds second Public Works Day

VIDEO: Regional district and B.C. Transit show off NextRide bus technology

New technology for Nanaimo bus riders will allow for real-time tracking

B.C. to spent $181M to create 200 general practitioner jobs

Jobs will go to new medical school graduates

Federal leaders trade barbs about India trip at press gallery dinner

Justin Trudeau’s infamous trip to India earlier this year was the focus of many of the jabs

B.C. VIEWS: Our poverty reduction plan is already in place

NDP has another promise it needs to appear to keep

WestJet pilot strike averted as parties agree to mediation

Pilots had warned they could go on strike starting May 19

Most Read