Five-storey condo pitched for south end of Nanaimo

Development permit application submitted for Haliburton Street project

A five-storey condo building has been pitched for Nanaimo’s south end.

City of Nanaimo staff have received a development permit application from Parkshore Management Ltd., which is proposing to construct a 29-unit condo building at 119 Haliburton St.

The five-storey multi-family building would be build on a 1,617 square-metre site and plans feature a rooftop patio that will be accessible to all residents, a green roof, garden and underground parking, according to a report to the city’s design advisory panel.

Units will vary from 550 square feet to 85o square feet in size. There would be 12 one-bedroom units, four one-bedroom, one-den units and 13 two-bedroom units.

A similar design had previously been approved by councillors, but the permits expired and the property is now under new ownership, according to the report. Among the modifications from the original design are increased balcony sizes and the rooftop patio.

Parkshore Management is requesting a number of small variances including a height increase of one metre. The building’s height limit is 14 metres.

The proposed multi-family development is across from the Balmoral Hotel and in a neighbourhood surrounded with smaller single-family homes. According to the report, many of those homes and properties in the area are vacant and have “potential for development.”

Coun. Jerry Hong, who is on the design advisory panel, said Parkshore Management’s proposal is a good fit for the neighbourhood that hasn’t seen much development over the years.

“It is great that we are seeing progress in areas that traditionally don’t get a lot of development,” he said, adding that with plans for improved access to Port Drive, there could be increased development in the area down the road.

Councillors will need to approve the development before construction can begin on the project.



nicholas.pescod@nanaimobulletin.com

Like us on Facebook or follow Nicholas Pescod on Twitter

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Vancouver Island films sought for One Minute Mobile Movie Challenge

All entries to be screened online in virtual film festival

LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Have a heart when it comes to homelessness

When we de-humanize people, it’s easier to be cruel to them, says letter writer

Major injuries averted after three-vehicle crash in Nanoose Bay

Poor road conditions believed a factor in early-morning mishap

Wildfire southwest of Nanaimo now largely under control

Crews have been on the scene since Friday

Island Health warning of spike in overdoses in Nanaimo area

Substance users advised to visit overdose prevention site on Wesley Street in Nanaimo

B.C. would not send students back to school if there was ‘overwhelming risk’: Horgan

Plan has left many parents across the province worried about their children’s safety

Beefs & Bouquets, Aug. 5

To submit a beef or a bouquet to the Nanaimo News Bulletin, e-mail editor@nanaimobulletin.com

UBC loses appeal on Fisheries Act convictions

BC Supreme Court upholds order to pay $1.55-million fine

Canucks blank Wild 3-0, take series lead in penalty-filled NHL qualifying clash

Jacob Markstrom stops 27 shots to lead Vancouver past Minnesota

Tent Island closed due to neglect and abuse from campers

Illegal campfires common on Penelakut Tribe reserve land

North Okanagan man chains himself to tree in protest of construction

Crews began work clearing space for a new facility Thursday, Aug. 6

VIDEO: A B.C business used robots to bring down concrete walls

Walco Industries is the only firm on Vancouver Island to use specialized robots for hydro-demolition

As CERB winds down, labour group asks Liberals to rethink EI

The government estimates four million people will be moved onto EI after CERB ends

Most Read