Fire sends one woman to hospital

NANAIMO – A woman was able to escape from a single-storey house fire in the north end over the weekend.

A major structure fire occurred in Nanaimo’s north end Sunday.

At approximately 6:30 p.m., firefighters were called to a single-storey house fire at at 5277 Catalina Dr. after neighbours reported seeing smoke.

According to Capt. Ennis Mond, fire investigator with Nanaimo Fire Rescue, the fire began in the kitchen and eventually spread upwards through the house.

“It was a fire on top of the stove,” Mond said.

A female occupant was inside the house and is believed to have been asleep at the time of the fire. Fortunately, she awoke in time.

“We believe by the smoke alarm,” Mond said. “She doesn’t have any recollection of it, but neighbours heard it going.”

Mond said that although neighbours were reportedly on hand and ready to come to the woman’s rescue, the woman was able to crawl out through the front door.

The woman was then taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation and released the following day.

According to Mond, the estimated damage to the house is around $250,000. He noted that the homeowner had insurance.