Fire scorches Haliburton business

A Haliburton Street business owner got an unpleasant surprise when he went to open his doors Wednesday morning.

Someone lit a pile of newspapers on fire in front of the computer store entrance.

The fire scorched the outside of the door, melted the plastic weather stripping and went under the door briefly before burning itself out, said Ennis Mond, fire investigator with Nanaimo Fire Rescue.

Since no one reported it, the fire was only discovered when the owner arrived just before 8:30 a.m.

Nanaimo RCMP are investigating the incident.