Fire forces two people from their home

NANAIMO – Damage confined to bedroom of Nicol Street house.

Rick Kwasnecha

Rick Kwasnecha

An early morning house fire at 688 Nicol St. in south Nanaimo has forced two people from their home.

Nanaimo Fire Rescue responded to the alarm shortly before 4 a.m. Monday.

Rick Kwasnecha, a Nanaimo Fire Rescue fire prevention officer, said fire damage was confined to one bedroom in the house, but he had not determined what sparked the blaze.

Kwasnecha said there were no reports of any injuries.

Karen Lindsay, the city’s Emergency Program manager, said the couple who lived in the home were given 72 hours’ lodging and other assistance through the municipality’s Community Assistance Program.