A boardwalk in a south Nanaimo park was damaged by a firebug on Monday.
Ennis Mond, fire investigator with Nanaimo Fire Rescue, said someone rolled a plastic green bin, used by residents to collect food waste for pickup by city workers, onto the boardwalk in Richard’s Marsh Park in Cinnabar Valley and lit it on fire sometime Sunday evening or early Monday.
The fire department was called around 10:30 a.m. Monday when neighbours smelled smoke and crews found the decking and green bin smouldering, he said.
Mond said the fire damaged the decking, a railing and a park sign. The fire department called police, who are following up with neighbours to determine who is missing a green bin, he added.