A fire broke out at 250 Terminal Ave., the site of a temporary supportive housing complex, at around 5:30 p.m. Monday. (NICHOLAS PESCOD/NEWS BULLETIN)

UPDATE: 20 people displaced by fire at Terminal supportive housing

Incident occurred at Newcastle Place at 5:20 p.m. Monday

A fire broke out at a temporary supportive housing site in the evening hours Monday.

Nanaimo Fire Rescue responded to a structure fire at Newcastle Place temporary supportive housing site at 250 Terminal Ave. at approximately 5:20 p.m. Smoke could be seen coming from one of the buildings.

Residents were evacuated from the property. Both northbound lanes were blocked off on Terminal Avenue, with traffic detoured.

B.C. Ambulance Service was also on scene.

Karen Fry, Nanaimo Fire Rescue, said crews arrived on scene to find flames pouring out of one the site’s buildings.

“They arrived on scene to heavy flames showing from one unit, with smoke coming out of every opening,” she said. “From that point we started knocking the fire down from the outside.”

Fry said all of the site’s residents escaped without any injuries, but 20 residents will be displaced as a result of the fire. She said Island Crisis Care Soceity, the site’s operator, is looking for alternative accommodations for them.

Although the buildings had smoke alarms, they did not have a sprinkler system installed, according to Fry, who said it isn’t a requirement.

“B.C. Housing can kind of surpass some of the requirements because it’s a temporary location,” she said.

Fry said investigators are still working to determine the cause of the blaze. She also noted that while Island Crisis Care Society instructs residents that they are not allowed to cook or smoke inside the units, there have been issues in the past.

“We have noted deficiencies with that previously,” she said. “We are going to be working with B.C. Housing and Island Crisis Care Society to make the building as safe as possible,” she said.

The property is the site of an 80-unit temporary supportive housing complex that was erected late last year. The provincial government purchased the property last year for $2-million in an effort to provide housing for those living at an illegal homeless camp in downtown Nanaimo.







nicholas.pescod@nanaimobulletin.com 
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter and Instagram

 

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Crimson Coast Dance Society salutes African dance during Black History Month

Dancers from Mozambique, Rwanda and Cameroon to give demonstrations and lessons

Nanaimo Clippers, clad in Snuneymuxw jerseys, win in OT

BCHL team wins both its weekend games to stay in contention for first place on the Island

Nanaimo-bound ferry breaks down, but another available for service

Two sailings cancelled Sunday on Tsawwassen-Duke Point route

Air Canada will offer direct Nanaimo-to-Toronto flights again this year

Seasonal service will run from June until October

Nanaimo a capital city in the beard business – Wildman Beard Co.

Wildman Beard Co. gained early success with Nanaimo mill workers

VIDEO: Minister reports ‘modest progress’ after blockade talks with First Nation

Wet’suwet’en hereditary chiefs say Coastal GasLink does not have authority to go through their lands

Henrique scores 2 as Ducks soar past Canucks 5-1

Vancouver tumbles out of top spot in Pacific Division

Trudeau cancels Caribbean trip amid pipeline protests across Canada

Protests against Coastal GasLink have disrupted rail service

B.C. VIEWS: Inaction on pipeline protests not a viable response

Columnist Frank Bucholtz on how the Coastal GasLink pipeline dispute got so bad

PHOTOS: Top 10 memories of the 2010 Olympics

Black Press Media’s Jenna Hauck, shares some of her most memorable images of 2010 Winter Games

#FoxForFiver: Support grows in B.C. to put Terry Fox on new $5 bill

Terry Fox’ Marathon of Hope raised money for cancer research

Woodlands proposed to house students during Cilaire seismic upgrades

Nanaimo Ladysmith Public Schools’ plan awaits ministry of education approval

Registration opens soon for BC 55+ Games in Richmond

2020 55+ Games have been officially scheduled for Sept. 15 to 19

Most Read