Family falls just short in national energy competition

Three-month Energy Diet Challenge now over, family says spreading the word on energy reduction is next challenge

  • Dec. 18, 2011 3:00 p.m.

So close.

After three months of striving to reduce household energy and water consumption, learning new ways to reduce garbage and inspiring people to do the same, Nanaimo’s Belbin family learned late last week it finished second in a national competition hosted by Canadian Geographic and Shell Canada.

The Belbins – Grant, Alison, Drew, 9, Kai, 8, and Mara, 4 – were one of six households selected earlier this year to participate in The Energy Diet Challenge, a contest created to encourage Canadians to use energy more efficiently in their homes and make smarter mobility choices.

“At Canadian Geographic, we are dedicated to helping Canadians learn more about the country and its resources,” said John Geiger, president of the Royal Canadian Geographical Society, in a press release. “Energy resources are a vital part of our country’s natural heritage and the Energy Diet Challenge will help all Canadians increase their energy literacy and make a hands-on difference every day.”

Though disappointed they didn’t win, Alison said working together as a team to find ways to save energy and money has benefitted them far beyond any prize.

And the Belbins will continue to practise many of the energy-reduction habits started over the course of the contest.

“The most important thing we came away with was reducing our energy did not in any way reduce our quality of life, or did we feel like we were missing out on anything,” said Alison. “It was actually the complete opposite and that was a big surprise. We thought that we would be energy starved over the last three months, but we realized that we really didn’t need any of the things that we weren’t using or didn’t use.”

The Kitchen-Kulak household from the Yukon were the overall champions of the contest and winners of a 2012 Toyota Prius v hybrid car.

Over three months, the Belbins found ways to reduce water consumption by 50 per cent and energy use in their house by 47 per cent, and gasoline usage and costs were also reduced by 50 per cent.

Alison said she is especially proud of her children’s ability to embrace the challenge and take their ideas to school and teach their peers how to consume less.

Drew, 9, earned high accolades from contest organizers for his idea of a daily ‘No Power Hour’, when all energy-drawing devices were turned off, an idea Alison said will continue even though the contest is over.

“The kids came up with a lot of the ideas around the house to conserve,” said Alison. “As a parent, it was kind of cool to sit back and watch them take the lead. The kids went to speak with mayor and in front of school and had a lot of supporters behind them who they didn’t even know before.”

Points for the contest were earned for creativity in reducing waste, participation such as regular blogs, overall energy reduction which included water and hydro use, community outreach and accumulation of audience votes throughout the contest.

Though the Belbins led in many of the categories, audience voting tilted in favour of the Kitchen-Kulaks.

The legacy of the Belbin’s efforts will continue throughout Nanaimo.

Grant’s aunt and uncle, inspired by the family, said they will donate $1,000 to the Loaves and Fishes Community Food Bank, an amount that will be matched by Shell Canada. The family also plans to continue participating in the Young Professionals of Nanaimo community gardens to benefit the food bank.

“It’s impossible to unlearn what we’ve learned,” said Alison. “Even though we’re no longer being watched were still doing the things we have been doing. Everything is the same. The length of the competition was a good one because it gave us enough time to build habits. But it has been a fantastic experience. Are we disappointed? Sure, this has been like a full-time job for the past three months and a lot has gone into it, but I have a feeling this is just the beginning.”

For more on the Energy Diet Challenge, visit www.energydiet.canadiangeographic.ca.

reporter2@nanaimobulletin.com

Just Posted

City of Nanaimo’s budget talks start with 5.2-per cent tax increase

Series of special finance and audit meetings start Wednesday, Nov. 20

Lantzville seeks changes to policing cost model for small towns

Policing costs significantly increase once a municipality’s population exceeds 5,000

Nanaimo’s ‘Living History’ isn’t being forgotten

City announces return of speaker series for one night Nov. 19

Kris Kringle Craft Market making its return to Nanaimo

Self-taught craftspeople join trained artisans at seasonal sale Nov. 21-24 at Beban Park

Idea of free student bus passes will come to Regional District of Nanaimo board table

Tyler Brown, RDN transit committee chairman, hopes to explore fully subsidized bus passes for youths

Kris Kringle Craft Market making its return to Nanaimo

Self-taught craftspeople join trained artisans at seasonal sale Nov. 21-24 at Beban Park

Campbell River RCMP officer assaulted during traffic stop

Officer expected to make a full recovery; had been conducting impaired driving investigation alone

Qualicum Beach cinema group reaches fundraising goal

Organization wants to see a multi-use cinema in town

Nanaimo service station first in B.C. to be part of Petro-Canada’s ‘electric highway’

EV charge stations started operating last month at service station at Terminal and Princess Royal

BC SPCA seeks help after senior cat attacked by dog twice

Nine-year-old tabby named Meow Meow will need her front leg amputated

City intends to help Nanaimo BMX with design phase of track upgrades

Finance and audit committee recommends council consider $35,000 expenditure

Abbotsford police chief mulls more enforcement of homeless lawbreakers

‘When all else has failed we have to hold people accountable,’ Police Chief Mike Serr tells council

Striking Vancouver hotel workers, employer reach ‘tentative’ agreement

Employees of the Rosewood Hotel Georgia have been out at picket lines since talks broke off on Sept. 21

Most Read