Families displaced by cooking fires

NANAIMO – Kitchen cooking fires displace three families in two days.

Five tenants were displaced from their homes following a cooking fire in a rental house Tuesday.

The fire broke out shortly before 6:30 p.m. in the home at 4037 Ross Rd.

Tenants living on the main floor left food cooking on the stove unattended, said Capt. Ennis Mond, Nanaimo Fire Rescue fire prevention officer in an e-mail to the News Bulletin.

The resulting fire damaged the stove and kitchen wall, caused heavy smoke damage to the kitchen and moderate smoke damage throughout the main floor.

The woman and her two sons are now displaced from their home. Two other tenants were also displaced from a basement suite due to potential smoke issues.

The two smoke alarms on the main floor, one of which had been disconnected, were also not working, but the basement suite smoke alarm was functioning. Mond said the outcome could have been tragic if the fire occurred when the main floor tenants were sleeping. No injuries were reported and all tenants were assisted by the Nanaimo Emergency Program, but none of the tenants had contents insurance. The owner of the house has insurance and will have the building repaired.

This was the second fire caused by cooking in two. A cooking fire also displaced a family of three from their apartment Monday night. No one was injured and the smoke alarm was working in that incident.

Just Posted

Kidney Foundation trying to keep patients warm this winter

Kidney Foundation of Canada’s Warm the Sole campaign takes chill off dialysis treatments

Nanaimo Theatre Group will start its season by staging a farce

Self Help follows married second-rate actors who become famous self-help coaches

LETTER TO THE EDITOR: School buses need seat belts

If I had a child in school, I would be insisting on seat belts in school buses, says letter writer

Nanaimo United forgoing soccer balls for snowballs

With soccer cancelled, snow fun day to take place at Beban Park on Saturday, Feb. 16

Man arrested in shooting at Nanaimo hotel pleads guilty to second-degree murder

Brandon Tyler Woody to be sentenced in late March in B.C. Supreme Court in Nanaimo

WATCH: Historic night in Red Deer as 2019 Canada Winter Games kicks off

Star-studded Opening Ceremony features athletes from across Canada

Beefs & Bouquets, Feb. 14

To submit a beef or a bouquet to the Nanaimo News Bulletin, e-mail bulletinboard@nanaimobulletin.com

Dallas Stars pay tribute to Nanaimo woman who died of cancer

NHL team wore Arlene Forbes’s initials on hockey helmets last week

Eight cases of measles confirmed in Vancouver outbreak

Coastal Health official say the cases stem from the French-language Ecole Jules Verne Secondary

Plecas won’t run in next election if B.C. legislature oversight reforms pass

B.C. Speaker and Abbotsford South MLA says he feels ‘great sympathy’ for Jody Wilson-Raybould

Workshop with ‘accent reduction’ training cancelled at UBC

The workshop was cancelled the same day as an email was sent out to international students

Former B.C. premier Gordon Campbell accused of sexual touching

Accuser went to police, interviewed by Britian’s Daily Telegraph

Judge rules Abbotsford home must be sold after son tries to evict mom

Mom to get back down payment and initial expenses

Trump officially declares national emergency to build border wall

President plans to siphon billions from federal military construction and counterdrug efforts

Most Read