Discontent City held a press conference yesterday explaining a need to expand, then went ahead and pushed the fence further onto City of Nanaimo-owned, Seaspan-leased property. NICHOLAS PESCOD/The News Bulletin

Discontent City expands onto neighbouring property

Fence pushed onto Seaspan lot to accommodate homeless camp’s growth

Discontent City has annexed more land on Nanaimo’s south downtown waterfront.

With the population of the homeless camp having grown this week, Discontent City held a press conference yesterday explaining a need to expand, then went ahead and pushed the fence further onto Seaspan property owned by the City of Nanaimo.

Amber McGrath, one of the organizers of Discontent City, confirmed that occupants of the camp moved the fences onto the Seaspan lot. She said the camp is overpopulated and needs more room in order to comply with a fire safety order issued by the B.C. Supreme Court last month.

“They have pushed back the fence 20 feet because it is the only place to push back the fence that is not going into the train yard,” she said.

McGrath explained that with bylaw officers and Nanaimo RCMP “sending” people to Discontent City and shutting down other camps throughout the city, they had no choice but to expand.

“The RCMP fully admit … that they are telling people that if they want to be in a camp, not being displaced nightly that they are to go to Discontent City, and so we don’t have enough room,” she said.

Police were at the camp for several hours yesterday, said Const. Gary O’Brien, Nanaimo RCMP spokesman. He said police were called to a disturbance at the camp and remained there keeping the peace.

“There was a little bit of discontent between the original occupiers of this [tent city] and [newcomers] and that came to a head,” he said.

He originally said the newcomers were from the tent city in Saanich, but said it’s been determined that that wasn’t the case.

O’Brien said the RCMP mediated the situation around the fence being moved.

“It ended up Seaspan was agreeable to move the fence back about 50 feet onto their property,” he said.

The News Bulletin has contacted the City of Nanaimo and Seaspan for comment.

Just Posted

Nanaimo Theatre Group will start its season by staging a farce

Self Help follows married second-rate actors who become famous self-help coaches

LETTER TO THE EDITOR: School buses need seat belts

If I had a child in school, I would be insisting on seat belts in school buses, says letter writer

Nanaimo United forgoing soccer balls for snowballs

With soccer cancelled, snow fun day to take place at Beban Park on Saturday, Feb. 16

Man arrested in shooting at Nanaimo hotel pleads guilty to second-degree murder

Brandon Tyler Woody to be sentenced in late March in B.C. Supreme Court in Nanaimo

New museum exhibit presents Nanaimo mysteries

Nanaimo Mysteries exhibit unveils city’s fiction and even stranger facts

VIDEO: Canada’s flag turns 54 today

The maple leaf design by George Stanley made its first appearance Feb. 15, 1965

Beefs & Bouquets, Feb. 14

To submit a beef or a bouquet to the Nanaimo News Bulletin, e-mail bulletinboard@nanaimobulletin.com

Dallas Stars pay tribute to Nanaimo woman who died of cancer

NHL team wore Arlene Forbes’s initials on hockey helmets last week

Eight cases of measles confirmed in Vancouver outbreak

Coastal Health official say the cases stem from the French-language Ecole Jules Verne Secondary

Plecas won’t run in next election if B.C. legislature oversight reforms pass

B.C. Speaker and Abbotsford South MLA says he feels ‘great sympathy’ for Jody Wilson-Raybould

Workshop with ‘accent reduction’ training cancelled at UBC

The workshop was cancelled the same day as an email was sent out to international students

Former B.C. premier Gordon Campbell accused of sexual touching

Accuser went to police, interviewed by Britian’s Daily Telegraph

Judge rules Abbotsford home must be sold after son tries to evict mom

Mom to get back down payment and initial expenses

Trump officially declares national emergency to build border wall

President plans to siphon billions from federal military construction and counterdrug efforts

Most Read