Discarded butts likely cause of house fire

NANAIMO – Fire officials believe the cause of a house fire that displaced nine people Sunday was smoking materials.

Fire officials believe the cause of a house fire that displaced nine people Sunday was smoking materials.

Crews were called to a rental house on Machleary Street shortly after 3 a.m. to find the upper floor engulfed in flames.

The house was divided into three separate rental suites and all nine people living there, plus two friends, got out of the building. As a result of the heavy fire damage to the upper floor and smoke and water damage to the lower floor, officials said that nothing in the house was salvageable. None of the tenants had content insurance, but the owner had insurance on the building, which is a writeoff.

Ennis Mond, Nanaimo Fire Rescue fire prevention officer, said the fire started on the front closed-in deck on the upper floor.

From interviews with tenants and the evidence found on scene, he determined smoking materials likely caused the blaze. An upstairs tenant told him cigarette butts were dumped into the garbage and bags were placed on the deck. Mond found the remnants of garbage bags near the fire’s area of origin.

Mond said there are two safety lessons people can learn from the incident.

“No. 1, make sure your cigarette butts are out before you throw them out,” he said. “The other part of the safety message is make sure you have working smoke alarms.”

The smoke alarm upstairs did not activate, the alarm in one of the downstairs suites had been taken down and in the other downstairs suites, Mond could not find a smoke alarm.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Vancouver Island films sought for One Minute Mobile Movie Challenge

All entries to be screened online in virtual film festival

LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Have a heart when it comes to homelessness

When we de-humanize people, it’s easier to be cruel to them, says letter writer

Major injuries averted after three-vehicle crash in Nanoose Bay

Poor road conditions believed a factor in early-morning mishap

Wildfire southwest of Nanaimo now largely under control

Crews have been on the scene since Friday

Island Health warning of spike in overdoses in Nanaimo area

Substance users advised to visit overdose prevention site on Wesley Street in Nanaimo

47 British Columbians test positive for COVID-19

That brings the total number of confirmed active cased as of Thursday (Aug. 6) to 371 people

Beefs & Bouquets, Aug. 5

To submit a beef or a bouquet to the Nanaimo News Bulletin, e-mail editor@nanaimobulletin.com

B.C. would not send students back to school if there was ‘overwhelming risk’: Horgan

Plan has left many parents across the province worried about their children’s safety

UBC loses appeal on Fisheries Act convictions

BC Supreme Court upholds order to pay $1.55-million fine

Canucks blank Wild 3-0, take series lead in penalty-filled NHL qualifying clash

Jacob Markstrom stops 27 shots to lead Vancouver past Minnesota

Tent Island closed due to neglect and abuse from campers

Illegal campfires common on Penelakut Tribe reserve land

North Okanagan man chains himself to tree in protest of construction

Crews began work clearing space for a new facility Thursday, Aug. 6

VIDEO: A B.C business used robots to bring down concrete walls

Walco Industries is the only firm on Vancouver Island to use specialized robots for hydro-demolition

As CERB winds down, labour group asks Liberals to rethink EI

The government estimates four million people will be moved onto EI after CERB ends

Most Read