Discarded butts likely cause of house fire

NANAIMO – Fire officials believe the cause of a house fire that displaced nine people Sunday was smoking materials.

Fire officials believe the cause of a house fire that displaced nine people Sunday was smoking materials.

Crews were called to a rental house on Machleary Street shortly after 3 a.m. to find the upper floor engulfed in flames.

The house was divided into three separate rental suites and all nine people living there, plus two friends, got out of the building. As a result of the heavy fire damage to the upper floor and smoke and water damage to the lower floor, officials said that nothing in the house was salvageable. None of the tenants had content insurance, but the owner had insurance on the building, which is a writeoff.

Ennis Mond, Nanaimo Fire Rescue fire prevention officer, said the fire started on the front closed-in deck on the upper floor.

From interviews with tenants and the evidence found on scene, he determined smoking materials likely caused the blaze. An upstairs tenant told him cigarette butts were dumped into the garbage and bags were placed on the deck. Mond found the remnants of garbage bags near the fire’s area of origin.

Mond said there are two safety lessons people can learn from the incident.

“No. 1, make sure your cigarette butts are out before you throw them out,” he said. “The other part of the safety message is make sure you have working smoke alarms.”

The smoke alarm upstairs did not activate, the alarm in one of the downstairs suites had been taken down and in the other downstairs suites, Mond could not find a smoke alarm.

Just Posted

Striking Western Forest Products workers willing to ‘modify position’ if talks progress

Brian Butler, USW 1-1937 president, says union and WFP to meet in Nanaimo

First Snuneymuxw Fight Night to be held at community gym

Eli Wyse facing Quesnel opponent in main event of boxing card Saturday, Dec. 14

Dogs and cat rescued in house fire in south Nanaimo

Section of Old Victoria Road was closed to traffic Tuesday afternoon

Nanaimo RCMP look for missing man with memory loss and mobility issues

Robert Gillies last seen at coffee shop in Departure Bay

GUEST COMMENT: City should stop catering to fast-food drive-thrus

Eliminate drive-thrus to improve safety and health and reduce emissions, says guest columnist

Dogs and cat rescued in house fire in south Nanaimo

Section of Old Victoria Road was closed to traffic Tuesday afternoon

VIDEO: Harbour Air makes history with first electric aircraft test flight

Successful flight marks first of its kind in the world

Chamber of commerce wants to check out Nanaimo’s best Christmas lights

Residents and businesses asked to submit their addresses by this Wednesday, Dec. 11

Japanese students visit Nanaimo-Ladysmith for cultural exchange

Students from Furukawa Gakuen High School hosted by mid-Island families this past weekend

BC Ferries adds 170 extra sailings for the holidays

6 a.m. and 10 p.m. sailings added for busy season

No injuries reported in five-vehicle pileup in Nanoose Bay

Traffic slowed briefly on Monday afternoon

UPDATE: Electrical short caused motorhome fire

Nanaimo Fire Rescue extinguished blaze Monday afternoon on Esplanade and Irwin Street

The Grinch who Stole a Hedge: Security camera captures Chilliwack tree theft

RCMP arrives as person calmly walks away with tree in downtown area

Salmonella outbreak in Canada linked to rodents and snakes

92 cases of salmonella across six provinces, including B.C.

Most Read