Police are warning that north Nanaimo neighbourhoods are experiencing a rise in property crime.
According to an RCMP press release Wednesday, a “rash” of petty thefts, suspicious occurrences and other property-related crimes have happened in recent weeks.
Police say residents have been vigilant in reporting incidents that have occurred sporadically among many neighbourhoods, usually under the cover of darkness and often in the early morning hours.
Various items have been taken from unlocked vehicles, sheds and homes that have been entered through unlocked windows and doors.
“Crime prevention is a community issue that starts with reporting suspicious activity immediately and this is exactly how residents have been responding to this rash of unlawful activity,” said Const. Gary O’Brien, Nanaimo RCMP spokesman, in the press release.
If someone is seen lurking in a neighbourhood, perhaps spending too much time peering into vehicles or walking in an out of driveways, this constitutes suspicious behaviour and requires a call to the Nanaimo RCMP non-emergency line at 250-754-2345, police say.
Nanaimo RCMP recommends the following tips to improve security of homes and properties:
- Lock all doors and remove anything of value from unattended vehicles, as well as garage door openers, and get into the habit of making sure vehicles are secure by 9 p.m. each night.
- Ensure doors and windows in homes are secure, especially lower-level windows. Also, close blinds to prevent anyone from looking in. Be sure also to lock garage side doors, which are often overlooked.
- Be sure all sheds are locked, ladders secured and nothing of value is left lying about in backyards.
- Get to know your neighbours and share any suspicious activity in your neighbourhood with them and others.
- Start a neighbourhood Block Watch. Visit www.nanaimocpvolunteers.ca to find out more about the program to reduce crime in neighbourhoods and which also might qualify homeowners for reductions in home insurance costs.
If you know something, do something. Anyone with information on any crime, is asked to call the Nanaimo RCMP at 250-754-2345. To remain anonymous, contact Crime Stoppers at www.nanaimocrimestoppers.com or call 1-800-222-8477.