Nanaimo Regional General Hospital. (News Bulletin file photo)

Nanaimo Regional General Hospital. (News Bulletin file photo)

UPDATE: COVID-19 outbreak at NRGH spreads, now at 17 cases

Outbreak was declared Nov. 1 in Nanaimo Regional General Hospital’s transitional unit

UPDATE: On Saturday, Nov. 13, Island Health said two additional cases of COVID-19, in relation to the outbreak at Nanaimo Regional General Hospital’s transitional care unit, were identified.

One patient case and one staff case have been identified through follow-up testing, said Island Health.

PREVIOUSLY POSTED: Another eight COVID-19 cases have been linked to the outbreak at NRGH.

Island Health issued an information bulletin on Tuesday, Nov. 9, advising that there have been another eight COVID-19 cases identified in NRGH’s transitional care unit.

“The most recent patient cases were not experiencing symptoms and were identified through testing of potential close contacts,” the health authority noted.

The outbreak was declared Nov. 1 after evidence of transmission within the unit, said Island Health. In total, 13 patients and two staff members have tested positive for the virus.

RELATED: Two more COVID-19 cases identified in NRGH outbreak

Provincial health officials reported Monday, Nov. 8, that there were 1,438 new COVID-19 cases in B.C. over the three days leading up to press time, with 221 of those cases on Vancouver Island. Island Health reports 518 active COVID-19 cases, with 306 of those cases on the central Island, 126 on the south Island and 86 on the north Island.

READ ALSO: Island Health, province to require proof of vaccination for acute care visitors



editor@nanaimobulletin.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Coronavirus