Cooking fire damages exterior of residence

NANAIMO – Barbecue catches central Nanaimo duplex on fire.

A barbecue fire ruined more than dinner Friday night – it also caught a central Nanaimo duplex on fire.

The fire happened at about 6 p.m. on White Street.

Rick Kwasnecha, Nanaimo Fire Rescue fire prevention officer, said food on the barbecue caught fire and because it was right next to the house, the exterior wall then ignited.

“It’s a preventable type of fire, you just have to use some common sense when you’re barbecuing,” he said. “When you start [the barbecue], make sure it’s away from the building.”

Kwasnecha said the blaze damaged the exterior wall of the house and a window cracked from the heat. Both the tenants and owner have insurance.