Colliery dams not expected to meet B.C. regulations

NANAIMO – Determining the future of the Colliery dams has cost taxpayers $700,000 so far.

The Colliery dams will still fail to meet B.C. dam safety regulations, despite efforts to address flood safety risks, said Susan Clift, the city’s director of engineering and public works.

Nanaimo city staff members have pitched a new plan to solve the short-term flood risks posed by the century-old middle and lower Colliery dams this winter. The strategy, outlined for councillors Monday, proposes the city rolls out water level monitoring, an evacuation information blitz and new neighbourhood sirens over the next seven weeks.

The multi-level plan is expected to cost $50,000 to $100,000 – adding to the $700,000 expense the City of Nanaimo has already incurred to determine the future of the Colliery dams.

And even with the latest precautions, Clift said the city will not meet provincial dam safety rules. The province has flagged the two dam structures for being at extreme risk of failing during a major quake or flood and has required the city to fix any public hazards in a timely manner. The provincial authority also expects a long-term solution for the structures this September – a document city staff members do not expect will be ready until after interim measures are in place this October.

The consequences for not following  regulations is unclear according to Clift, but she said there’s little else the city can do except to move forward with its latest action plan.

The B.C. Dam Safety Branch has declined to comment until the city submits new short-term mitigation measures.

City council debated the recommended interim actions after press time Monday.

“[To be in compliance] we would have had to complete the plan that we had, which was to remove the dams,” Clift said. “We still need to go ahead and do what we can and when that’s in place, work expeditiously on a long-term plan.”

The City of Nanaimo and the B.C. Dam Safety Branch have been working toward a solution for the Colliery dams for close to 12 months.

When the city opted to halt demolition of the dams for a 30-day consultation with the Snuneymuxw First Nation, a spokesman for the province said he was concerned the delay would prevent the city from acting on its plan to remove the structures. The city was urged to quickly correct the dams’ problems, as well as come up with short-term measures to allay risk while deficiencies are being addressed.

But Nanaimo city officials are now only prepared to focus on interim solutions, pointing out there is no longer time this season to do physical changes to the dams.

The new plan looks at dam monitoring and sensing systems for water levels, information signs, emergency response exercises and a new neighbourhood siren system.

Toby Seward, the city’s general manager of community safety and development, said the plan is important for the safety of people this winter. The alarms – modeled after Tsunami warning systems – will ring if water reaches certain levels and new signs will help direct people on where they should go in an emergency.

If approved, the new system will be installed this fall and close to 1,800 Harewood residents will be invited to emergency drills.

Just Posted

Construction work continues on the City of Nanaimo’s new Fire Station No. 1 on Fitzwilliam Street. (News Bulletin file)
Next phase of borrowing approved as Nanaimo fire hall construction ongoing

City of Nanaimo CAO says construction on Fitzwilliam Street hall on schedule and budget

Nanaimo Fire Rescue firefighters at the scene of a single-vehicle crash on Tenth Street near Southside Drive on Sunday, June 13. (Greg Sakaki/News Bulletin)
Driver OK after crashing vehicle off the side of Nanaimo’s Tenth Street

Crews say wet roads a factor a crash Sunday, June 13

Emergency crews on scene of a two-car crash at the intersection of Cranberry Avenue and the Trans-Canada Highway on Sunday, June 13. (Greg Sakaki/News Bulletin)
Crash blocks Cranberry intersection in Nanaimo, no one injured

Incident blocks both southbound lanes of Trans-Canada Highway

(PQB News file photo)
Fireworks report highlights enforcement challenges for Regional District of Nanaimo

Director: ‘I just think it’s wasting everybody’s time’

Emergency crews on scene of a two-car crash at the intersection of Cranberry Avenue and the Trans-Canada Highway on Sunday, June 13. (Greg Sakaki/News Bulletin)
Crash blocks Cranberry intersection in Nanaimo, no one injured

Incident blocks both southbound lanes of Trans-Canada Highway

Highway notices like this come down effective June 14. Public health restrictions on non-essential travel and commercial operation have hit local businesses in every corner of B.C. (B.C. government)
Province-wide travel back on in B.C.’s COVID-19 restart plan

Gathering changes include up to 50 people for outdoor events

Calgary Stampeders’ Jerome Messam leaps over a tackle during second half CFL western semifinal football action in Calgary, Sunday, Nov. 15, 2015.THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh
CFL football will be played this summer in Canada

Governors vote unanimously in favour to start the ‘21 campaign on Aug. 5

Citizenship Minister Marco Mendicino holds a press conference in Ottawa on Thursday, Nov. 12, 2020. The federal government is announcing that Indigenous people can now apply to reclaim their names on passports and other government documents. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick
Indigenous people can now reclaim traditional names on their passports and other ID

Announcement applies to all individuals of First Nations, Inuit and Métis background

Harvesting hay in the Fraser Valley. (Tom Fletcher/Black Press)
COVID-19: B.C. waives farm income requirement for a second year

Property owners don’t need minimum income for 2022 taxes

A view of the outside of St. Andrews Roman Catholic Cathedral on Victoria’s Blanshard Street. (Don Denton/News staff)
Vancouver Island bishop apologizes for church’s role in residential schools

Bishop Gary Gordon of the Diocese of Victoria voices commitment to healing and reconciliation

Cruise ship passengers arrive at Juneau, Alaska in 2018. Cruise lines have begun booking passengers for trips from Seattle to Alaska as early as this July, bypassing B.C. ports that are not allowed to have visitors until March 2022 under a Canadian COVID-19 restrictions. (Michael Penn/Juneau Empire)
B.C. doesn’t depend on U.S. law to attract cruise ships, Horgan says

Provinces to get update next week on Canada’s border closure

This undated photo provided by Girl Scouts of New Mexico Trails shows a scout donating cookies to firefighters in Rio Rancho, New Mexico, as part of the Hometown Heroes program. As the coronavirus pandemic wore into the spring selling season, many Girl Scout troops nixed their traditional cookie booths for safety reasons. That resulted in millions of boxes of unsold cookies. (Girl Scouts of New Mexico Trails via AP)
Thinner Mints: Girl Scouts have millions of unsold cookies

Since majority of cookies are sold in-person, pandemic made the shortfall expected

Most Read