According to a city press release, the federal government has conditionally allocated $3.8 million in funding from the federal gas tax fund towards the waterfront walkway project. (CITY OF NANAIMO image)

City eligible to receive $3.8M from gas tax fund for walkway project

Long-term vision is to extend seawall from Departure Bay beach to Nanaimo River estuary

Nanaimo could receive millions of dollars in federal funding to help build the next stretch of the waterfront walkway.

According to a city press release, the federal government has conditionally allocated $3.8 million in funding from the federal gas tax fund towards the walkway project, a $41-million, multi-phased project that would see the seawall extended between Departure Bay and the Nanaimo River Estuary over a 10-year period.

RELATED: Draft plan presented for Nanaimo’s waterfront walkway

In order for to receive the $3.8 million, the city will need to meet all regulatory approvals, required leases and agreements within a year. Should the city fail to do so, it will not receive the federal funding.

Nanaimo Mayor Bill McKay told the News Bulletin that he was pleased to learn about the announcement, but pointed out that it all depends on meeting the federal government’s conditions and did not say whether he thought the city could meet those conditions.

“We’re very pleased with this funding announcement. Nanaimo’s waterfront walkway allows all members of our community, no matter their ability, to enjoy our beautiful waterfront…” said McKay in the press release. “With today’s announcement, we are able to proceed with two critical sections. On behalf of council, I thank our staff for their efforts in obtaining this very important funding commitment.”

The Union of B.C. Municipalities administers the gas tax fund in partnership with the federal and provincial governments.

“Nanaimo’s waterfront walkway is such a great asset to the community and will make a positive impact in the lives of the people who live here. This is a great example of how a partnership between all levels of government can do great things when we all work together,” said Leonard Krog, Nanaimo MLA, in the press release.

Councillors approved the plan in December and design work has already begun on the first phase of the project, which calls for construction of a walkway between B.C. Ferries’ Departure Bay terminal and White Eagle Terrace and a section along the south downtown waterfront. The city has budgeted $4.4 million for the first phase and expects the work to be completed by next year.


nicholas.pescod@nanaimobulletin.com

Like us on Facebook or follow Nicholas Pescod on Twitter

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Supportive housing plan unbalanced

Letter writer worries crime and social disorder will increase from Newcastle area to south end

Vancouver Island team takes on wacky challenges of world’s largest scavenger hunt

Greatest International Scavenger Hunt taking place Aug. 1-8

Drive-in movie screenings next week will benefit Nanaimo food bank

Fortis B.C. and Fresh Air Cinema holding fundraisers at Woodgrove Centre

Nanaimo barber looks at new style for back-to-school fundraiser

Dave Lawrence of That 50’s Barber Shop getting tattoo in Fresh Start promo on Aug. 17

Neighbours try to clean up around nuisance drug house on Milton Street in Nanaimo

560 Milton St. was declared a nuisance property last month

53 new COVID-19 cases, no new deaths cap off week of high infection rates in B.C.

Roughly 1,500 people are self-isolating because they either have COVID-19 or have been exposed to it

Moving on: Tanev scores 11 seconds into OT as Canucks oust Wild

Vancouver beats Minnesota 5-4 to move into first round of NHL playoffs

Island Health warning of spike in overdoses in Nanaimo area

Substance users advised to visit overdose prevention site on Wesley Street in Nanaimo

Do-over vote has similar result, 280-unit development in Lantzville going to public hearing

Mayor’s motion to rescind Clark/Medd application’s second reading fails 3-2

B.C. wildfire crews have battled 111 blazes in the last seven days

Twenty-nine fires remain active, as of Friday (Aug 7)

Fitness non-profit challenges citizens to invent a game to be physically active

The campaign was launched after a study showed only 4.8 per cent of children and youths in Canada met required standards of the 24-hour movement guidelines

Cowichan RCMP use spike belts to end car chase — man in custody

The driver was arrested at the scene a short distance from his vehicle

Walmart to make face masks mandatory for customers across Canada

Requirement goes into effect on Wednesday, Aug. 12 across Canada

Beefs & Bouquets, Aug. 5

To submit a beef or a bouquet to the Nanaimo News Bulletin, e-mail editor@nanaimobulletin.com

Most Read