The city has set up a temporary resource centre downtown to help with the transition of the coming closure of Discontent City. NICHOLAS PESCOD/The News Bulletin

City sets up service tents next to Discontent City to help campers relocate

There will be partial road closures on Esplanade during afternoons

The city has set up a temporary resource centre downtown to help with the transition of the coming closure of Discontent City.

The City of Nanaimo posted information on its website Thursday afternoon advising the public that tents have been set up along Esplanade “to use as a resource centre to help occupants of the encampment access services and make plans to relocate from 1 Port Drive.” The new information did not specify dates or timelines.

Alliance Against Displacement and a Discontent City supporter said Wednesday that the city was planning to shut down the homeless camp on Friday, which is the date when a B.C. Supreme Court-approved injunction against tent city comes into effect.

Nanaimo Mayor Bill McKay said last night that Discontent City will be shut down in a “pragmatic” way, but wouldn’t disclose when the that would occur.

The B.C. minister of municipal affairs and housing, Selina Robinson, said last week that she expected the City of Nanaimo would not enforce the injunction until after newly announced temporary supportive housing is set up at locations on Labieux Road and Terminal Avenue.

“The City of Nanaimo is primarily concerned with public health and safety and is working to find immediate and lasting solutions for the many vulnerable people living in tents, and for those most affected by their presence there,” notes the city website.

Nanaimo Fire Rescue’s command bus has already been at tent city this month with a new mission as a mobile office for community outreach.

“The service providers down there, like Portland Housing Society, or whatever service providers are down there, are looking for a place to be situated to kind of have a work desk and almost to be able to receive people and manage their inquiries,” said Tim Doyle, Nanaimo Fire Rescue deputy chief of operations, last week.

The bus was slated to operate there until Discontent City is closed.

McKay could not be reached for further comment Thursday. Fire chief Karen Fry, the city’s director of public safety, could not be reached for comment.

-files from Chris Bush/The News Bulletin

Just Posted

B.C. BUDGET: Surplus $374 million after bailouts of BC Hydro, ICBC

Growth projected stronger in 2020, Finance Minister Carole James says

Realtors hope that their help can make miracles happen for sick kids

Re/Max of Nanaimo donates $86,000 to Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals

Young Nanaimo dancers to appear on NBC program ‘World of Dance’

Jacksun Fryer, 15, and Deeya Sharma, 12, among those competing for $1 million

Vancouver Island’s 10 worst intersections revealed

Saanich, Victoria, Nanaimo, Duncan and Langford junctions make the list

Nanaimo RCMP share road trip tales from Bear’s cross-Canada adventure

Nanaimo RCMP Bear makes it to Grey Cup and Irish pubs en route to Newfoundland

Jeep bursts into flames on highway near Nanoose Bay

Emergency crews responded to blaze at approximately 9:15 a.m. on Tuesday

‘Bullet missed me by an inch’: Man recounts friend’s killing at Kamloops hotel

Penticton man witnessed Summerland resident Rex Gill’s murder in Kamloops

B.C. BUDGET: Income assistance raise still leaves many below poverty line

$50 per month increase included in funding for poverty and homelessness reduction

B.C. BUDGET: Indigenous communities promised billions from gambling

Extended family caregiver pay up 75 per cent to keep kids with relatives

B.C. BUDGET: New benefit increases family tax credits up to 96 per cent

BC Child Opportunity Benefit part of province’s efforts to reduce child poverty

B.C. BUDGET: Carbon tax boosts low-income credits, electric vehicle subsidies

Homeowners can get up to $14,000 for heating, insulation upgrades

B.C. man survives heart attack thanks to Facebook

A Princeton man suffered a heart attack while at an isolated property with no cell service

B.C. man sues Maxime Bernier’s People’s Party over trademark

Satinder Dhillon filed application for trademark same day Maxime Bernier announced the new party

New trial ordered over banning whales, dolphins at Vancouver aquarium

Park board’s appeal reverses previous decision that found it had no right to implement a ban

Most Read