The City of Nanaimo will be purchasing a new automated garbage truck for $430,000. CITY OF NANAIMO photo

City of Nanaimo needs a new garbage truck due to population growth

New automated truck comes with price tag of $430,000

A new garbage truck could be rolling on streets of the Harbour City next year.

Nanaimo councillors, during a finance and audit committee meeting on Wednesday, voted unanimously in support of a recommendation authorizing the city borrow $432,396 from the Municipal Finance Authority in order to purchase a new automated garbage truck.

The new garbage truck would be ordered later this year and is anticipated to enter service in January, according to a recent staff report, which states that the purchase works out to about $3.22 per household.

The $432,396 loan, provided to the city by the Municipal Finance Authority’s equipment financing program, will be repaid by the city over a five-year term and has an interest rate of 2.6 per cent. Staff estimate the city paying $29,513 in interest over the five years, bringing the total cost of the garbage truck to $461,865, according to the report.

The city’s automated garbage collection program was first announced by staff in 2017 for a cost of $7.5 million. However, following a multi-phased implementation of the program, the project ended up costing taxpayers $7.9 million.

RELATED: Automated garbage collection coming to Nanaimo

RELATED: Automated collection would raise garbage rates

Laura Mercer, acting director of financial services, told the News Bulletin that council’s decision is merely a formality since the truck’s cost was already included in the 2019-2023 financial plan, which has been approved by councillors. She also said garbage rates in 2019 will be $170 per household.

The new truck was not part of the city’s $7.9-million Sort Toss Roll implementation, but is an additional expense, according to Mercer. She said the city has eight automated garbage trucks in their fleet at the moment and staff anticipated having to add more in order to keep up with the city’s increasing population.

“It’s a matter of growth,” she said.

The purchase of the new truck can happen after city councillors approve the committee’s recommendation during a council meeting. Mercer said that decision will likely occur at the next council meeting, which is scheduled for Feb. 25.

Staff are also planning on purchasing a used garbage truck later this year that would serve as a backup in case the main trucks need to be taken offline, according to Mercer. She also said staff are looking at recommending purchasing another new garbage truck in 2022.

RELATED: Automated garbage collection about to roll out for the rest of Nanaimo

RELATED: City of Nanaimo’s garbage collection rates could change again

RELATED: Garbage collection bylaw amendment gets delayed

RELATED: Bylaw amendment keeps automated garbage rolling

RELATED: Deer carcasses don’t belong in green bins, says city







nicholas.pescod@nanaimobulletin.com 
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter and Instagram

 

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Iconic white raven spotted in area north of Nanaimo

Photographer John Domovich spotted rare bird on June 3 in Whiskey Creek area

South Wellington community association hopes to save old school from demolition

Nanaimo school district staff to report on fate of South Wellington Elementary later this month

Black Lives solidarity demonstration fills Nanaimo park

Anti-racism protest held at Maffeo Sutton Park on Friday afternoon

Nanaimo RCMP seek help locating missing indigenous youth

Family of William Baker worries he’s in company of people putting him at risk

Nanaimo man wanted on assault warrants

John Bates wanted following two separate incidents from earlier this year

Trudeau offers $14B to provinces for anti-COVID-19 efforts through rest of year

Making a difference in municipalities is a pricey proposition

Friends, family mourn Salt Spring Island woman killed in suspected murder-suicide

A GoFundMe comapaign has been launched for Jennifer Quesnel’s three sons

‘I’m pissed, I’m outraged’: Federal minister calls out police violence against Indigenous people

Indigenous Minister Marc Miller spoke on recent incidents, including fatal shooting of a B.C. woman

Indigenous families say their loved ones’ deaths in custody are part of pattern

Nora Martin joins other Indigenous families in calling for a significant shift in policing

Facing changes together: Your community, your journalists

The COVID-19 pandemic has changed the world in ways that would have… Continue reading

‘Alarmed’: Health critic calls for more data on COVID-19 in trucking industry

Saskatchewan, Ontario and Quebec said that level of detail is not being collected

UPDATED: Pair accused of ‘horrific’ assault at Vancouver’s Oppenheimer Park arrested

Police say Jason Tapp, 30, and Nicole Edwards, 33, did not show up to meet their bail supervisor this week

Kelowna Mountie who punched suspect identified, condemned by sister

‘How did he get away with this? How is this justifiable?’

PHOTOS: Anti-racism protesters gather in communities across B.C.

More protests are expected through the weekend

Most Read