Firefighters attend to an injured employee at Beban Park pool Thursday afternoon. An ammonia leak caused people to be evacuated from the building.

Firefighters attend to an injured employee at Beban Park pool Thursday afternoon. An ammonia leak caused people to be evacuated from the building.

Chlorine leak at Nanaimo’s Beban Park pool sends three employees to hospital

NANAIMO – People were evacuated from the building shortly after 1 p.m. Thursday.

Three pool employees were sent to hospital Thursday after they inhaled ammonia gas following a suspected chlorine leak.

Nanaimo Fire Rescue responded to the incident shortly after 1 p.m. and arrived to find people being evacuated from the building.

“Ammonia is basically gaseous chlorine,” said Martin Drakeley, Nanaimo Fire Rescue assistant chief of operations. “When it reacts with moisture it turns into hydrochloric acid and forms burns.”

One female lifeguard was being taken to Nanaimo Regional General Hospital when firefighters arrived.

Her injuries were reported as not serious and the trip to the hospital was precautionary. Two other employees were taken to hospital, also as a precautionary measure after developing respiratory symptoms, Drakeley said.

The chlorine leak was small and the result of maintenance work being done on a supply line.

“If there was a leak, it was basically just what was left in the line,” Drakeley said. “Maintenance staff were on it immediately and it was looked after.”

No visitors to the pool were injured and portions of the Beban Park complex were being reopened by about 2:30 p.m.

 

 

Be Among The First To Know

Sign up for a free account today, and receive top headlines in your inbox Monday to Saturday.

Sign Up with google Sign Up with facebook

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Reset your password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

A link has been emailed to you - check your inbox.



Don't have an account? Click here to sign up
Pop-up banner image