Fred Statham is planning to run for city council and says housing will be the central plank of his platform. GREG SAKAKI/The News Bulletin

Candidate hopes he’s raised his profile for another run for council

Fred Statham finished 12th in last summer’s byelection but will try again

He finished well back in last year’s byelection, but he’s ready to take another run at a city council seat.

Fred Statham is campaigning for Nanaimo city council in the coming local government election. He officially announced his candidacy at a City of Nanaimo budget meeting last December, but said he already knew by last July that he wanted to run again.

“As soon as the campaign was over, the grand campaign 2.0 was already ready to go,” Statham said.

He finished 12th out of 13 candidates in the byelection, garnering 63 votes, but said there were “a lot of lessons learned” through that experience.

“I knew I wasn’t going to win in the first week of the campaign,” he said, adding that he heard from voters that they were wishing for better gender balance on council.

Statham said people didn’t really know him then, as he’d only moved back to Nanaimo two years before, but he thinks he now has a higher profile in the community.

“I’ve been out there talking about all the issues, and my major issue of affordable housing for everybody,” he said.

He said he doesn’t fault Nanaimo council for failing to move forward on a planned supportive housing project earlier this year, suggesting the province’s timelines weren’t reasonable, but he did say the city could have been clearer with its communication on the project.

Statham is critical of former senior staff and says their actions show there’s a need for strengthened expense policies and greater transparency at city hall.

Another priority Statham mentioned is the Port Drive planning, saying the south downtown waterfront land is important to Nanaimo for several reasons.

“Downtown has to be the anchor of a thriving economy and [at] 1 Port Drive, I would really like to see at mixed economy. Let’s have small businesses, let’s have some residential in there. Basically a mixed economy like Granville Island,” he said, adding he’d favour high-end condos, mid-range homes and social housing in that part of the city.

Statham said while housing is at the centre of his campaign, there are a lot of other issues and ideas he wants to talk about.

“Let’s build a great city for our grandchildren,” he said in his campaign materials.

For more on the coming local government elections, visit www.nanaimobulletin.com/tag/election-2018.



editor@nanaimobulletin.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Just Posted

Nanaimo women look for forward steps at march

Nanaimo Women March On held downtown on Saturday

Nanaimo candidate, premier address spec tax at B.C. NDP event

Premier John Horgan and Sheila Malcolmson say speculation and vacancy tax addresses homelessness

RDN board to vote on spending $150,000 for mapping software

ESRI Canada successful RFP proponent, RDN to vote as part of 2019 budget

Nanaimo’s École Hammond Bay school unveils new gym expansion

Larger gym can accommodate home games and assemblies

VIDEO: Students in MAGA hats mock Native American at Indigenous Peoples March

Diocese in Kentucky says it is investigating the matter, caught on video by onlookers

CONSUMER REPORT: What to buy each month in 2019 to save money

Resolve to buy all of the things you want and need, but pay less money for them

UPDATE: B.C. woman and boy, 6, found safe, RCMP confirm

Roseanne Supernault says both she and her six-year-old nephew are fine and she has contacted police

Anxiety in Alaska as endless aftershocks rattle residents

Seismologists expect the temblors to continue for months, although the frequency has lessened

PHOTOS: Women’s Marches take to the streets across B.C. and beyond

Women and allies marched worldwide protesting violence against women, calling for equality

Beefs & Bouquets, Jan. 17

To submit a beef or a bouquet to the Nanaimo News Bulletin, e-mail bulletinboard@nanaimobulletin.com

Women’s March returns across the U.S. amid shutdown and controversy

The original march in 2017, the day after President Donald Trump’s inauguration, drew hundreds of thousands of people

Federal Liberals announce former B.C. MLA as new candidate in byelection

Richard Lee will face off against federal NDP leader Jagmeet Singh

No winning ticket in $10 million Lotto Max jackpot

No win in Friday night’s draw means the next Lotto Max draw will be approximately $17 million

Most Read